/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lifting 40-50 Pounds

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Abrams, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

I have a colleague who is investigating the use of multi-rotors for oil and gas platform applications. His company has been able to find large machines that can lift 100 pounds, and more - but has been unable to find anything smaller, that can lift a payload in the 40 to 50 pound range. The eventual application would require these machines to be flown from laptop computers - with full telemetry, FPV, and precision waypoint flying.
    Can you folks suggest anything that would be suitable for his needs? Are the new Cinestar HL machines capable of carrying this kind of weight?
    Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That kind of payload is going to require a very sturdy frame, far more so than the Cinestar. It looks like a copter with 8 Tiger U11 motors would be theoretically capable of lifting an 80-100 pound copter (assuming that’d be the AUW with 40-50 pounds of payload).

However, I’m not aware of any currently-available flight-control and power delivery systems for multi rotors that can handle a 12s (48V) power system, which would be what’s required to fly something like that. So basically you’d be inventing a whole new copter.

On the other hand, Yamaha’s tried-and-true RMAX copter is right in your wheelhouse. It’s been flying for years, and quotes a payload capacity of 28kg. http://rmax.yamaha-motor.com.au/specifications

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Check out the heavy lifter at Kopterworx. Might be a fit. Hammer X8 is in the 35KG payload range according the guys at KW. They also have an X12.

4. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll let my colleague know.
    I think the current technology would be cost prohibitive, considering the contract could call for as many as 200 units. I have suggested that he pursue further miniaturization of his equipment, until technology can catch up. I also don't believe that current technology has achieved the necessary level of reliability and ease of use - just yet.