/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lens Hood

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Neil McCarthy, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Neil McCarthy

Neil McCarthy New Member

Does anyone know of a lens hood (obviously lightweight and gimbal friendly) for the Moment lens, or iPhone X lenses. I'm doing a nice stable turn using the Movi, but then "the lens sees the light" as we stills photographers were often heard to say, and the shot is degraded.

Gabes' Movi practice footage is maybe an example of when a lens hood is needed, or the sun hits the lens and the milk floods the image (about 55 seconds in).

https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/kids-movi-practice.12557/

If there is another solution to a lens hood in the movie world, that would be great. Maybe a lens filter?

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Neil,

This would work:

A bit of Cinefoil: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44690-REG/Rosco_RS100113_Matte_Black_Cinefoil.html

And some gaffer tape: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...1UPCG155MBLA_Gereral_Brands_Pro_Gaffer_s.html

Re off the shelf solutions...

I don't use Moment lenses. They have a serious obsolescence problem, and there is reason to believe that Moment’s entire current line will be obsolete, as it relates to the iPhone, two months from now.

That said, Moment has an adapter for its current lenses that takes 62mm screw-in filters. I would think that it should be possible to use the adapter with a 62mm screw-in lens hood.

In its latest video, Moment talks about using a step-up ring with its adapter, which reinforces the idea that one should be able to screw in a lens hood. Re your concern about weight, there are some fairly light lens hoods available, especially for wide lenses. Heliopan makes a line of lens hoods that might be perfect.

This is the new Moment video that I'm talking about (see 06:38 and following):

#2 Rorick Edge, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

@Rorick Edge, can you explain this rather ominous statement?

4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Simon,

Nothing ominous. Moment lenses and accessories become obsolete with respect to new iPhones every time that Apple changes its iPhone lens configuration.

There is a pretty widely held view that Apple is going to move from two lenses to three lenses this fall. The rumours are strong enough that I wouldn’t buy a Moment lens until Apple announces its new iPhone lineup in about eight weeks.

Looking at the bigger picture, I think that Apple is in the process of putting Moment out of business, not deliberately but just because of where Apple is going with photography. It’s a fair bet that Moment’s future, and whether it has one, is a big issue within Moment as a company. But for now, Apple’s changes to iPhone lens configurations are great for Moment, less great for Moment’s customers.

#4 Rorick Edge, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Michel Ulmann

Michel Ulmann New Member

This is true, I really love the Moment Lenses, but I no longer use their telephoto lens, because it is already built into the iPhone now, and the iPhone XI Plus (or whatever Apple will call it in the end) I will get this fall could have the wide-angle as the third camera on the back indeed. I guess this is also why Moment is moving focus to their anamorphic lens. But you also need to keep in mind, that there is still a much bigger Android camp, which also needs the Moment Lenses to extend their lens options.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

OK, I understand that changes to the iPhone will obsolete older product... I myself have the Moment 1st Gen 18mm, 60mm and Macro that I use on my iPhone 6. I've ordered the Moment Anamorphic and therefore had to up-grade my case to support that mount (when it finally arrives). I just ordered a Movi and a replacement for the 18mm to move to V2 but I will keep my V1 60mm and Macro lenses and switch cases when I need to mount them. At this point, I'm quite happy keeping the iPhone 6, so I'm perhaps less worried for the moment (no pun intended).

7. Neil McCarthy

Neil McCarthy New Member

I buy a new iPhone mid-cycle, when it's actually working, and keep it for as many years as possible. So for me it's a dash to get all the accessories you want before the "next model" appears and everyone dumps support for the last model. Generally, the accessories and the iPhone age together and so moving accessories forward to the next iPhone isn't an issue unless you are constantly upgrading iPhones - possibly to get what the accessories already give you - with moment lenses in this particular example.