/dist/images/branding/favicon

Landing Gear Extensions?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Jon Fredericks, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Jon Fredericks

Anyone have any good suggestions for CS landing gear extensions, or alternate landing gear? Looking to drop the gimbal to eliminate boom shots with the Radian. The CS extenders only add 45mm.....would be nice to have 70 or 80mm.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Jon:

I've not seen anyone go beyond the standard 45mm, but if you know anyone with a water-jet cutter, it may be a case of a custom job, I'm afraid. Let's see if anyone else has additional information.

Andy.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Jon:

I've not seen anyone go beyond the standard 45mm, but if you know anyone with a water-jet cutter, it may be a case of a custom job, I'm afraid. Let's see if anyone else has additional information.

Andy.

4. Jon Fredericks

Thanks Andy, we might just have to do something custom.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

There might be a market for them, Jon -- the larger cameras demand the Epic tilt bars and that means less ground clearance.

Given the QC extensions are 45 mm, how large were you thinking of going?

Andy.

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

We will look into extenders / longer landing gear. The EPIC mount when used the 'right' way Andy has even more clearance then a normal camera. I am not using the extenders on any of my machines and have clearance. I take that back, the rig that has a C500 on it needed them for some landing headroom.

Tabb

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Tabb. Did you top or bottom mount the C500? I am still trying to figure out the best way to carry my C300:)
    Katya

8. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Katya, I bottom mounted it, with the camera upside down....if that makes any sense??? ;)

Howard Dapp likes this.
  9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

You mean you hang it upside down by the bottom plate & then flip the image?

10. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

This is why we also need a bigger CSG;)

12. Jon Fredericks

Andy, we were thinking that 70-80mm additional from the stock legs would be ideal. That would provide enough clearance to drop the gimbal 3" and get some more wiggle room to catch the horizon in mountainous areas w/o also catching the boom. Also would be very advantageous when you have no choice but to fly into a spicy headwind with the Radian.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tabb: That raises the question what is the "right" way -- with the tilt bars descending from the tilt pivot axis or above? There does not appear to be any guidance as to what the "right" way might be. I have them mounted such that the Epic tilt bars are below the tilt pivot axis, but from your exchange with Katya, that suggests I should adopt an antipodean point of view? :)

I share Katya's implied "say, what?" :) Remember to run the clips backwards too, Katya....

Jon: Yeah, I had to land on some very rough ground the other day and got one landing gear down, followed by the Epic tilt bars and then, more or less, the other two landing gear. Airborne, dead calm. Approach, dead calm. Landing, 12-knot thermal came through. Conclusion: I cannot soar a Cinestar. (That's probably not true in 12-knots up, but it felt that way.) CFIT.

I think I'm in the market for 70-80mm landing gear extensions. Just make them look sexy not arthropodic, please.

Andy.

14. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I'm just glad that someone else is also flying with the C300/500. It's such a weird form factor and the top mount on it is not strong enough to hang it so glad you have a simple solution Tabb:)
    My other question though is that I have extended my side booms on the gimbal by a couple of cms to enable the epic extender to operate in the 'bottom' configuration for the 5D. That enables clearance when you tilt down. Tabb have you extended your down boom to enable you to hang the C500? f I do that then I will need extenders as the epic extender gives no clearance in at all in the down position.
    Katya

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    Do you have the fore and aft side booms angled up at all? With the 5D, to get the C of G on the roll axis, I've had to tilt the side booms up about, oh, figuratively, 10 degrees and that also has the effect of giving ground clearance to the Epic tilt bars....

Andy.

16. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Andy. Yes, booms slightly angled up CG spot on so that the camera can now be moved to any position and not flip back to the centre but hold its place. I actually didn't realise that it had to hold it's position until I looked at Tabb's video about balancing the camera so thanks for that Tabb:) Epic tilt bars still only just above the floor. I'm not using the regular extenders though so will have to put them on.
    Katya

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Katya:
    Interesting. For the 5D Mk III, I have the gimbal side booms up sufficient to give me about 3 cms of clearance under the Epic tilt arms. Obviously the amount of side boom tilt will vary depending on what you need to do to get a specific camera's CoG up (or down) to the roll axis.

As you say, landing gear extenders are in your future....

First heavy rain in three months in Portland, Oregon -- Autumn/Fall is here...no flying for a few days while this weather system blows through.
    Andy.

18. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hi Katya And Tabb,

I'm looking to mount a c300 / c500 but would like to avoid mounting it upside down. How big of an improvement does mounting it upside down provide? Is there a preferred method to flip the image for the video downlink on the ground other then the obvious ? I have a shoot coming up and will have to provide an image to a "video village" for the directors and marketing execs. Any tips when working with these cameras on the freely gimbals? Radian Settings ?

Also does the c300 - c500 have a live HDMI out signal that will work with my freeflyHDMI converter?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

19. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yes they both will supply a live HDMI that works through the FF HDMI converter. I used this when we flew the c500 earlier in the year. Also we mounted it right side up.

Josh

20. Justin John

Justin John Member

Thanks Josh! I just watched the Golf commercial, it looks great! Do you remember if you radian settings were close to the default 100? Did you have to mount the 4k external recorder?