Lack of range on Remote

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Casey McBeath, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

Hell all,

I'm sure this will prove to be yet another Heisenbug, but one of the longer lasting issues of our shoot was that our remote had no range. Literally none. If we took the remote further than 7-10 feet from the gimbal, the MoVI would reset to Majestic Mode. Not sure if this is a gimbal/remote/signal issue but any advice to trouble shoot would be appreciated.

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

You should be getting up to a half mile. Im curious if you may have it set in a range test mode. Standby and Ill look at walking you through checking that.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

If you check page 19 of the DX7 manual it describes "range checking" the transmitter. http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DX7_Manual.pdf
    My thought is maybe you have the transmitter mounted in a tray? and the tray is keeping that button pushed in all the time. Just guessing without seeing a photo of your setup.

4. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

We originally had it in a tray, but the set up was too clumsy at the time. The majority of the shoot was done with the remote free. I feel like there is a signal interruption somewhere. Any idea if there is a less optimal antenna position? Or in the case of our original gimbal issues, is there a connection for the antenna that should be checked?

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

A device which emits strong frequencies can effect your range, almost to zero meters. Cell towers nearby, baby walkie talkies (these are very dangerous devices; they also operate on 2.4 GHz and they are powerful)

Is your remote working right now?

And did you also check that if the red light on the satellite which is on the Movi was solid or blinking? The led should be solid. We had some problems with DX7s setups; turning off both the transmitter and reciever and then powering on them were fixing it.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Casey have you entered a support ticket with Freefly?

7. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

Gary, Not as of yet. I just wanted to ensure the fault is not on our end. Is there a particular path for that I should follow?

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Go ahead and enter a ticket. I am stumped and when I had lunch with Adam at Quadrocopter today he was also perplexed. Might be a bad TX or RX.