/dist/images/branding/favicon

Kopterworx KW12 prop mounting

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Tuukka Ylonen, May 21, 2014.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I have the KW12 motors along with Xoar 17" props on my Heavy lift Vulcan X8 UAV frame.
    There are some problems with the KW12 prop adapters.

First of all the axle is too short to properly tighten the nut into the axle. Or the Xoar is too thick :)

Another, bigger problem is that at least my prop adapters were of poor quality. Two of the eight adapters broke before even tightening the nut propely.

As a result I came up with a solution pictured below. The axle remains are still in the middle hole, keeping the prop centered. Two socket head screws are going from adapter to the motor itself and two more are first going through the prop, then through the adapter and into the motor.

prop adapter.jpg IMG_1704.jpg IMG_1705.jpg IMG_1707.jpg IMG_1708.jpg

What do you guys think? Will it work?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tuukka I would call Kopterworx and ask for replacements. Unless you have a very high precision drill press or CNC machine the chance of imbalance by being off center may induce to much vibration. The prop adapters aren't that expensive.

3. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Gary:

Kopterworx does not have the adapters for sale or as replacements in stock. And as told, the adapter axle is too short for tightening the Xoar prop properly. The bolt does not go through the axle fully so I don't trust that solution.

Another option would be to buy the T-motor CF props, but I have invested a handsome sum into 10 big 17" Xoars already and I don't really trust the T-props donĀ“t need any balancing. And how easy is it to balance a carbon fiber prop? Carbon fiber dust is hazardous.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I've found the T-motor CF props to be well balanced from the box. And it's quite easy to safeguard one self around carbon fiber. I always do my work outside.

5. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi Gary what do you mean by "being off center" ? I use the original snapped prop adapters and 6 to 8 mm adapter on the prop adapter shaft, so the prop is centred like it would be with the original adapter and one nut tightening the prop only.

The only difference is the way the prop itself it secured into the motor. And that way is similar to what T-motor carbon fiber props are mounted into the motors. With two screws going through the prop. The screws are symmetrically placed so they should in balance right?

If this works, I think it is a better and more secure way to mount the prop than the single nut system.

6. Vilpertti Tirronen

Vilpertti Tirronen New Member

I prefer also t-motor props, because 2 bolt mounting. It is fool proof.
    Even if t-motor v2 carbon fiber props would have some inbalance, I think they are so light and stiff that it wont matter in flight.
    I have them in my both copters.

I have used Xoars also, but hate height of the hub. Some motor adapters won't simple work with them.