/dist/images/branding/favicon

Keeping your cool in a long distance flight

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Tyler Olson, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

2. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Thanks Andy I guess you can always turn off OSD info that you don't need to see

3. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Copy that.. thanks.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

With the Smart OSD, that's correct. It allows for four different "overlays" on the FPV video and I use the fourth one for a minimalist overlay -- just has LiPo voltage down one corner -- it's the overlay I use when I need to locate a particular subject and get the copter into position.

Andy.

5. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

The iftron sucks and does not give you any useful pilot information, such as command pitch and roll ladder or any other info. Nice thing about the SOSD is that you can get a little dot that orbits a circle on the Heads Up Display or (HUD) and see where home is in reference to your copters nose and either rotate the nose until the dot is on the bottmo of the circle and pull back or just give the appropriate commands.

If that fails there is a pilot trick that they used back in the day called look at the compass heading and that is good estimate. So if you took off and flew north and now your compass says 90 you know your front is pointing east. Back stick will move the copter left and right stick will move the copter toward you.

I had scare back in the day probably my third or fourth flight. I thought I had Carefree disabled in software. I flew 3/4 of a mile away by accident. And none of my controls made any sense after I yawed right. I had to use for the first and only time the return home function and luckily it worked as advertised and brought it back. Once it was overhead I moved the sticks and found it behaving in carefree. Odd thing was that the switch was tied to both carefree and my LED's. So when I thought I was just turning on the lights I was also putting it into CF mode.

The odd thing was that Carefree was supposed have been disengaged permanently through copter tools, yes I wrote the change to the FC. For some reason the FC did not take it. It did add my lights to the switch, but never removed the CF function. I checked it again and again and rewrote several times in software every time it would not overwrite the change. So I ended up resetting the EEPROM and reloading firmware and I finally got it to delete the function. The weird glitch I had was that it had assigned that "POTI" switch to turn on the LED lights and it was but also activating CF as well. This was back in the 0.88 days when first got the copter. Moral of the story is make sure your changes take effect. Sometimes the register stack can get overflowed and cannot overwrite correctly, so an EEPROM reset and firmware reload may necessary.

Nice thing about the S-OSD is that you get an anunciater panel that displays all the flight modes and other statuses and warnings so you can see what mode you are in. Now it is in my habit pattern to look at this and what is displayed before takeoff. That day above my video nose camera was inop and I chose to fly anyway.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Valuable yes. Easy to do upgrades, use with the xbee, support (admitted missing from the MK forum for a year) not so good.

Steve Maller likes this.