/dist/images/branding/favicon

Just used Movi on 4 jobs - observations

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Paul Watt, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

I've been shooting a bunch with the unit, lately. Setup is with Epic - no sidehandle, powered by AB mounted on top handle. Bartech/Heden FF, and Paralinx+ transmitting. I've got one D-tap running to a breakout mounted to the camera powering AKS. Zeiss ZF2 conversions (35/50) and Canon 16-35 and 24-70 being the most used combos.

We've had it on the ice shooting NHL promos, out the door of an A-Star shooting heli-skiing, on skis through a boardercross course, and on the back of a snowmobile.

The unit's been overall pretty great. I was a bit disappointed to lose horizon while pulling Gs through corners on the heli. I was hoping the GPS compensation would keep up, but it didn't. Level horizon came back slowly after about 30 seconds after each hard turn. That should be addressed. I checked the tablet during the flight and it was showing full GPS connectivity.

In a full day of shooting out the door of the heli, the unit only crapped out twice, both under heavy G-force and wind. We had to put down and shut down to reset in both cases.

It worked well through the corners of the boardercross course. It kept a level horizon and was a great tool. The line of sight Paralinx we were using was the limiter in that case, as we'd lose signal to the remote as I rounded turns out of sight.

When catching air on skis, the unit would temporarily lose it's direction when landing, but then would be back in control quickly after that.

It works great on skates. We pulled some pretty sweet shots very quickly.

Easyrig is what saves the day every time. I used it out the heli door, on skis on the boardercross course, over the jumps, and off the back of the snowmobile and on the NHL rink. It would have been impossible to do what we did without it. For short shots I used it handheld, but for everything else, the easyrig was on.

Ikbal Arafa and mark Berry like this.
  2. Michael Elsegood

Great comments Paul,

I've had very similar results shooting out the door of an R44.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Paul, can you post / send me some footage from the Heli shooting where you lost horizon? I would like to get to the bottom of that.

Thanks!

4. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post, all really good info! Would you mind sharing which model of the Easyrig you used? It's something we are considering adding to our MōVI setup.

5. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Easyrig 3, 9" extension, 300n shock. I'll upload the footage tonight if i get the chance. If not tonight, tomorrow.
    Thanks, Tabb.

6. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

Thanks for the info Paul!

7. mark Berry

mark Berry New Member

Thanks Paul, never thought about easyrig for skiing. I have used the Movi on skis and had problems shooting a subject to the side, I imagine this is even more difficult in the air. I thought about facing the handles upwards so it could be panned sideways without shooting your hands, haven't tried that yet. Instead I took off the bar and used the top handle on it's own, but I found it much more difficult to ski like this. Any thoughts?

8. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Easyrig worked well for skiing. Shooting sideways was no problem with a second op in control of the cam. Main problem was paralinx cut out as soon as I went around a corner. We're searching for the most robust SD solution, maybe a Boscam Thunderbolt transmitter and a Boscam D58-4 receiver and a mini hdmi/AV convertor at each end?

9. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Here's a dropbox link. The bumps and poor framing are from when I am pushing and wiggling the unit to try to level out.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/182f7z074n7o07t/Movi Horizon.mp4

10. bevan goldswain

I've recently done a shoot from a convertible car, I had the same problems losing horizon when pulling G's on corners.
    Car was going around 50km max, corners were pretty tight, GPS was picking up multiple satellites.

11. daniel hurst

daniel hurst New Member

I have had the same issues with shooting out the door of a R44. I was going to use it on a job, but after 2 test flights decided it was not going to be reliable enough. As soon as we would pull any sort of G's the rig would go off level and eventually not recover. We would have to land and get out of the chopper to re-calibrate.

Shooting from cars and boats have not been a problem.