/dist/images/branding/favicon

Just curious: Anyone use both 2 and 3 axis gimbal setups?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Dave King, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I think there's plenty of applications where you can fly alone, and also where you need a seperate camera person so I was wondering if there's anyone using both? I was thinking that you could have the Cinestar wired up where you have 2 cables coming off the FCB and you can just plug them in when you want to use the 2 axis gimbal and then have seperate power connectors for the 3 axis gimbal. Anyone use both? Right now I have a 2 axis gimbal but I can see the need for a 3 axis gimble later this summer but I don't want to be limited to flying with a camera guy 24/7.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave I think most folks just leave the Mode setting in Mode 1 (no pan activated) and sometimes use cable ties to secure the gimbal from panning.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

You can do that.. I don't even use cable ties. The part I'm unsure of is if and how you could get tilt control. I've never tried it...

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Brad, just checked my 2-axis and you are correct that there is no tilt in Mode 1 so maybe the solution would be to disconnect the pan servo wire from the Radian?

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

So this has got me thinking about my own 3 axis and how I could easily move to a 2 axis without the pan. I'm running spektrum gear right now so I'm not sure if its possible for me to get a signal to the Radians without running a second receiver or satellite paired to the same transmitter..

6. Dave King

To clarify I was thinking that you would need a 2 axis and a 3 axis gimbal, have the 2 axis gimbal controlled by the FCB and the 3 axis by the radians. Are you guys saying that you can probably get by with just the 3 axis gimbal with the radians and when you want to fly solo to just no pan?

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yep, you've got it right. Just turn off the pan. The Radians do a much better job than anything being output from the FC board. 1 setup flying two different ways. Perhaps a better use of funds would be having multiple gimbals for different camera loads. Example you fly Red and a Canon 5D. Rather than trying to do the whole rebalance dance just swap out bottom ends already balanced.

Anyone doing this?

8. Dave King

Interesting, I wish I knew about this from the start. Sounds like i need 2 360 3 axis gimbals. Does anyone know a good place I can try to sell the 2 axis gimbal? Never used or mounted.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think you can upgrade the 2-axis to be a 3-axis, Dave -- check with Karsten or Kyle at QC. I'm pretty sure they have a kit, or you can buy the parts...

Andy.

10. Dave King

Very cool! thanks.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

12. Dave King

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Gary. I knew I'd seen the kit somewhere on QC but couldn't find it -- and I got interrupted...
    Andy.