/dist/images/branding/favicon

Just an idea: FF MOVI + Rhino ROV

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Frank Algermissen, May 2, 2018.

1. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

The following weeks I hopefully will receive my Rhino ROV Slider https://rhinocameragear.com/products/rov here in Germany. Now I'm thinking about to combine MOVI and its possebility of ECHO presets with the possebilities of ROV as a slider.

Think about tracking your subject while sliding - like you can see here

Yes, I know, it won't be that easy cause of two different Apps which will control two different hardware devices. But maybe, just thinking loud, Rhino and Freefly should have a coffee together. They are both based on the area of Seattle...

John Woody likes this.
  2. Michael Storey

Michael Storey New Member

That was the first thing I thought about when I saw the Rhino. It makes perfect sense to combine the Movi with the Rhino for repeatable motion control. The dual app thing would have to be worked out, but also using Movi in Echo mode is awkward in the sense that you have to tilt and pan the whole unit to get your ‘a’ and ‘b’ points. Echo mode with the Movi attached to the Rhino would have to be re worked so one can physically reposition the camera (phone) to record the a&b frame positions without the gimbal motors fully engaged... (unless I’m missing something in using Echo mode).

3. Frank Algermissen

Let's see... I wait day by day to get the call to finally pick up the ROV. I'll let you know what and if it works - even I don't think so :rolleyes:

4. Michael Storey

Apparently I was missing something in Echo mode... it’s been pointed out that you can just force the gimbal to frame a&b positions (?!) without lifting the Movi from a flat surface. Will be interesting to see how long that lasts.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Michael: Now you've got me concerned: why do you think that approach might not last, please? It's the "official" way of using Echo. :)

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Michael Storey

Hi Andy. I work a lot with every kind of gimbal and remote head that's out there. I'm not a tech, but am always reminded not to force these mounts as they are finely tuned pieces of equipment, and they are. It just goes against the grain to phisically twist the gimbal to a new position when it is fighting you not to. For instance, i dont think anyone would twist a professional Movi gimbal with a Red camera on it especially if it's on a drone like the Alta. That being said, maybe Freefly has developed the MCR with the ability to withstand the pressure of twisting it without any adverse effects on the gimbal motors. I'd hate to be the one to find out that's not true.

Michael

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, you can overpower the motors on a MoVI on the ALTA -- it pulls more current, but it doesn't do any lasting harm. I've seen that happen most frequently when a cable snags or when the camera/lens combo on the gimbal discovers that the MoVI's frame will prevent it from panning too far. On the Cinestar 6's and 8's when we used servos, stalling out a servo was a Bad Thing because you could burn it out, but not with modern brushless motors.

Mind you, on the MoVI, there's usually little point in overpowering the motors -- with the MCR, there is a purpose for it when using the A-B positioning modes.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

The motors can be physically manipulated in Echo Mode to set A-B points. As seen here.

Other post related to this topic.

_____

I stopped by a local camera store last week to check out the Rhino sliders. They didn't have the ROV in stock, but they had a demo of the Rhino EVO 24" slider with Flywheel (the Motion Control setup had a dead battery), and it's a lovely piece of engineering. It's next on my list for sure! I like the idea of the motion control being a hardware controller, instead of an app to keep things simple for configuring.

Also, being a full size slider, I can use it with the Movi, my 5D or with a M5/M10/M15/MōVI Pro and any camera I might rent or borrow.

9. Michael Storey

Ok then, i’ll happily stand corrected and start using Echo mode without fear. Thanks for the info!! I look forward to trying it on the Rhino.

Michael

10. Frank Algermissen

Well, the Rhino EVO 24" slider is top-notch, with top-notch pricing. Motion control with a hardware controller is very nice, but as said before -> question of money. The ROV is extremely sexy cause small, light and setup via App like you FF guys do.

I'll let us know when I get the call from my local dealer. ROV starts shipping every day so I hope to get it in my hand really near future.

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  11. A K Collingwood

A K Collingwood New Member

Any luck Frank? Were you able to get both apps operating simultaneously? The ROV sends instructions to the slider and doesn’t require constant contact so it may be possible top start it and then switch quickly to the MOVI app.
    Please share your experience if you can. Thanks,

12. Frank Algermissen

Hi A K, unfortunately I cannot tell you yet cause Rhino just start shipping and mine seems to arrive someday in August.

How do you know about "...the slider and doesn’t require constant contact..."? Is it a guess or do you know?

The Rhino support told me "...pan/tilt solution is something on our radar as well, there are a few ideas we're throwing around..." But this will be something we can expect - with luck - in 2019. Their App actually is not even able to shoot in 4K !!!