/dist/images/branding/favicon

Joined the family

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Alessandro Garabaghi, May 11, 2018.

1. Alessandro Garabaghi

BH Photo had them in stocks so i ordered mine.

Will be interesting to see how it works on the boats, as no other gimbal has worked properly at wakeboarding speeds =D

John Woods and Darrin Altman like this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alessandro: Just remember that acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable -- so it's possible at wakeboarding speeds you can "fool" any accelerometer into thinking that the Earth's gravity vector is not pointing straight down! :(

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Alessandro Garabaghi

We will be on a boat next to the rider. The issue seems to be micro vibrations sometimes and other times the motors not being strong enough to keep the phone pointed in the right direction as it is acting like a sail.... we shall see

4. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

Thanks for the heads up that B&H have them in stock. I’ve had 1 on order since February. Kind of surprised/disappointed that a 3rd party seller has it in stock before pre orders are filled but at least I now know when I’ll have it.

John Woods likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, the relative wind hitting an iPhone is not exactly the epitome of "streamlined."

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Alessandro Garabaghi

yea we shall see how it works out! the motors look beefier than the other gimbals i have tried.... fingers crossed!

7. Alessandro Garabaghi

my movi has arrived.... just ran through all the settings and stuff and so far i am very impressed. The motors are massive compared to osomo and others.

Is it worth updating to the new firmware?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Alessandro: Yes. Update to the new firmware. As you will see, you can always revert to a prior version if Bad Things happen....

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Alessandro Garabaghi

anyone know the threads that the counter weight uses while i wait for mine to come i need to rig something up =D

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Allesandro: The hardware is shown here: https://store.freeflysystems.com/products/movi-adjustable-counterweight (you may have to scroll down to see the "Includes" heading and the details. Looks like they're all M3.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Alessandro Garabaghi

sweet managed to make shift a mount for now while mine is on order.

I wish the built in app let you pic which lens it was using... that is a pretty big let down hopefully in a release

12. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

13. Alessandro Garabaghi

With Zero tuning the results are ... ok... i think with some modifications we might be able to get some usable footage... the biggest issue is the iphone is like a sail in the wind.

I only had about 5mins this am to do some testing and i was driving and filming.

Speed 22.5mph still getting some shake from the wind hitting the phone....

Im going to look into tuning it... this was always with the camera either directly into the wind .... most of the time we would be filming from the side.... Im thinking some kind of wind blocker will be the easier solution ....

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

True -- the iPhone "wetted cross section" is just like a sail -- and, as you're finding, the relative wind can easily cause issues.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

15. Alessandro Garabaghi

indeed.... but with the ability to reach to 120mm with the tele lens ive been covering my self with the windshields of the boat... i have not had a chance to film anyone yet, but here is a short clip....

this was shot on a stormy day with 10mph wind which didnt help.

iPhone X
    Filmic Pro
    OIS off
    60mm tele on the iphone tele lens

Terrible lighting at noon and grey storms

Im curious how the footage will be with a subject to track ...

Darrin Altman likes this.