/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is Anyone Using a UV Filter?

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by SteveWilson, Dec 3, 2012.

1. SteveWilson

SteveWilson Member

When shooting at distances greater than a few hundred feet we start to get some haze on our video. B&H has a photo claiming a UV filter can improve this:

[​IMG]

In my research, I'm finding claims that modern digital sensors already compensate to filter UV and adding a filter is just wasted money and will actually degrade the image.

Has anyone tested a UV filter on video?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes.

It works for the same reasons it does in still photography. The haze in the atmosphere is a bluish haze and the UV attenuates that end of the spectrum.
    See e.g. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/uv-filters-for-cameras.htm

On the other hand, I've also seen situations (albeit when using cameras in odd ways like on a copy-stand) where light goes through the filter, through the lens, hits the sensor, bounces back through the lens and is reflected by the rear surface of the filter. In my case, it showed up as a soft, magenta-colored, light patch. Took me an hour or so to realize that it disappeared when I removed the UV filter on the lens.

The other reason for using the UV filter is to have a sacrificial piece of glass to keep the crud off the front element of the lens.

I've used a UV filter on the Canon 5D Mk III when shooting airborne video.
    I really need to figure out the best way to mount a filter on the Sony CX760. Anyone done that?

Andy.

3. SteveWilson

SteveWilson Member

Thanks Andy. I'll get them on there.