/dist/images/branding/favicon

iPhone 8 + Moment Battery case + Moment wide lens. Can Movi Cinema Robot deal with them?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by ANIBAL TREJO, May 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ANIBAL TREJO

ANIBAL TREJO New Member

Hello everybody!
    I have an iPhone 8 + Moment Battery case + Moment wide lens rig = 440 grams.
    My questions are: Can Movi Cinema Robot deal with them?
    and: since the Moment battery case is so thick... is there a risk that it will not be properly attached to the gimbal?
    I'd hate to buy a bigger gimbal... looking to reduce the size of my bag... :) and I love the Movi concept and I completely trust Freefly.

Thanks for your insights!

Anibal

2. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

iPhone X + MOMENT (normal) case + all MOMENT lenses work perfectly. Regarding to iPhone Plus models + MOMENT lenses, too. Only question is the Battery Case, indeed. I know that it will a bit tricky cause of its thickness. The MOVI motors won't be the problem, they are strong enough.

My iPhone X Battery Case will arrive in June/July so the only one who can answer that today is either FF or MOMENT. Did you contact them?

3. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Interestingly, you can purchase the standard Moment case via the Freefly store, but not the Moment battery case. For what it's worth, I just placed an iPhone 7 with an Apple Smart Battery Case into the Movi clamp, and it's an accident waiting to happen. The clamp just isn't thick enough to hold the phone/case securely. The Apple and Moment cases appear to be similar in design, but unfortunately I don't know how the two compare in thickness.

#3 Rorick Edge, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    ANIBAL TREJO likes this.
  4. Frank Algermissen

Hmmm, sounds bad cause I didn't want to always switch the MOMENT cases when using the MOVI im combination with MOMENT lenses.

ANIBAL TREJO likes this.
  5. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

Moment has said that they don’t recommend using the iPhone X battery case in the Movi in a Kickstarter livestream. Just for comparison, the simple Photo case really doesn’t fit properly in the Osmo Mobile. Luckily the iPhone X and Moment Photo case fit like a glove in the Movi.

I too have the battery case on order. I’m thinking it will only be used for photo trips, not gimbals. I have a slightly larger gimbal where I can mount any phone holder and have a nice big mouthed holder, but I like to attach my microphone so that makes the moment battery case a no go.

6. Frank Algermissen

I asked MOMENT and they agreed to what Darrin already said - and show it in their video. Check at 20:00

#6 Frank Algermissen, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    ANIBAL TREJO likes this.
  7. ANIBAL TREJO

ANIBAL TREJO New Member

Oooook thank you so much everybody :)
    And thank you Frank for the video... now I know that it will fit, but assuming a little bit of risk by doing it.
    Gaff tape or maybe a 3D printed piece attached to the clamp may solve it.
    :)

8. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

Hey, if you come up with a solution, please share it with us. Im an early backer so I should receive it as soon as they start shipping.