/dist/images/branding/favicon

Inverted Landing Gear Battery Mounting Problems NEW Alta 6

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Rick Gerard, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

In the Setup Guide, it clearly shows item seven to be the inverted landing gear with the removable tray.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.20.38 AM.png
    The Alta 6 flight manual shows different landing gear.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.28.48 AM.png
    That is what came with my new Alta 6.

The flight manual, on page 50 also incorrectly shows the Quick Release Inverted Landing Gear when it talks about battery installation for Skyview. The information in the flight manual does not match the included landing gear so users are forced to venture into the flight testing an undocumented and possibly experimental aircraft configuration.

The problem with the included landing gear is that the 10A battery is not long enough to be secured by the straps. The only solution I could find was to modify the landing gear.

I removed and replaced the attach points so they are on the inside of the frame but you have to use zip-ties to pull the straps toward the center so they do not slip off the batteries. The clearance between the top of the batteries and the top of the frame is also so small that it is nearly impossible to get the straps hooked up. Loading batteries in this landing gear is a 10-minute operation. Did anyone on the design team try to load a 10A battery into the supplied landing gear? The 16A battery is only 20mm longer but that is not long enough to be safely secure it with the straps in their original position. I would buy 16A batteries but the camera package I want to fly puts the Alta 6 right at 29.1 pounds and I cannot afford the additional pound and a half for the larger batteries.

I think I am going to ditch the rubber straps and wrap some 1" velcro straps around both batteries. That is the only reasonable solution I can figure out.

Has anyone found a reasonable solution to this battery mounting problem other than spending another $450 on the Freefly Quick Release Inverted Landing Gear?

Attached Files:

#1 Rick Gerard, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018