/dist/images/branding/favicon

Internal SD Error Deleting File CODE 4

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by John Monty, Mar 16, 2018.

1. John Monty

John Monty New Member

Hi Freefly Community,

Was wondering if anyones seen this error before and what can be done about it?
    Coincidentally the GPS SD card hasn't been recording flight logs either for some reason, are these two issues related?

Been trying to pull the GPS SD card to diagnose some power issues since the OSD has been giving really low voltage readings while climbing even with freshly topped off batteries.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Scrub, welcome to the forum.
    If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

The errors you're seeing suggest that it's probably time, if you've not already done so, to open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com)
    Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. John Monty

John Monty New Member

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm hoping for a bit more information about the internal SD card issue;

First off being, what actually gets stored to the internal SD card vs the GPS card? And why has it filled up?
    - It seems crazy to me that this vehicle has filled the card in only 6 months since it's last trip to the Freefly mothership. While other vehicles have been running for nearly three years and are barely 1/4 full.
    Second question being, can this problem be resolved/can the data be read without removing the SD card from the synapse controller?
    - For example through the smart phone app or using one of the Freefly windows utilities and jacking in through the powerboard or wifi
    - Can this be addressed in field by pilots instead of needing to send it in for service
    Third, What does Code 4 mean? And is there any documentation/index available describing what each error code indicates and which subsystem it involves?

Fourth, are problems of this nature usually physical hardware related (ie contact oxidation, SD card getting unseated, SD block fragmentation, SD card write cycles exceeded) or is something like this software/electrical related issues?

Thanks for your time.
    Best,
    Monty

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

My first reaction (speaking as a forensic computer geek) is that the internal SD is not really full, but I suspect the file allocation table has (for reasons unknown) become corrupted and it presents as being full when it really is not.

As to what is written to the internal SD card, I can only speculate (I'm not an FF employee) that it's flight log data -- perhaps some additional fields over and above the columns you see in flight log data written to the user-accessible microSD card -- but that's baseless speculation on my part.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that, John.

Again, I'm afraid I'm not privy to FF's internal documentation so I don't know. Apologies.

My money's on one of these:
    1. Bad contacts (as you suggest) in the internal MicroSD card connector.
    2. Physical vibration causing bad contacts.
    3. Just plain old electronic failure.
    4. Possible electronic noise/spike causing a data write to write corrupted data to the file allocation table.

I doubt it's micoSD write cycles exceeded (but that's baseless speculation).
    "or is something like this software/electrical related issues?" -- good question. I've been a systems programmer for "several decades" and it's an old adage that "all hardware failures most likely will first manifest as software problems." :)

I'd open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and see if the support guys can assist. They're remarkably good, I might add -- I'm not an FF employee, just a volunteer so I can be objective about that. I also fly DJI kit and therefore know what good support looks like! :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert