/dist/images/branding/favicon

intermittent connection with s-bus any idea?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jason Smoker, May 25, 2015.

1. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

My M5 has been giving us intermittent connection errors. I know the receiver is bound because lights are solid and I have a shutter cable connected to the s-bus which works. i have tried different cables to see if that was the problem nope.

I just upgraded the software and I also know the software has s-bus connection so its not that either!

I have sent a email to freefly but i thought i would ask the masses to see if they have any solutions?

cheers friends

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe a photo of your wiring attachment? Did you switch to the sBus connection in the GUI?

3. Jason Smoker

Yes Gary it's switched in the Gui

4. Jason Smoker

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok when you say intermittent connections do you mean from the TX to the RX? If that's the case and looking at the first photo it looks like you have the antennas parallel to each other and then at do degrees. If this is a TX range issue that's the first thing I would change. They should be approximately 90 degrees to each other from the attach point on the RX.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would also move the Rx antenna well clear of any carbon fiber -- CF absorbs radio frequencies -- so, as Gary says, spread the two wires on the RX so form a 90 degree V. Use anything but metal or CF to achieve that!

Andy.

7. Jason Smoker

the range is not a problem have flown this style up to 170m away with no issues.

Its the connection between the rx and the movi. I have connected correctly because it used to work fine. Now its suddenly stopped working

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Process of elimination then. You've replaced the cables. Next would be try a different RX. If that doesn't work then it really only leaves the MoVI control box which means a trip to Freefly. I'd enter a ticket with them. Personally I haven't heard of any electronic failures on the MoVI control box.

9. Jason Smoker

Gary it was the rx but still having switch problems or radio to rx problems. I bought a new s-bus and rx today but I dont understand why it oks then suddenly stops even after i moved the rx antennas as you suggested. hmm

after buying the new rx i set-it up but still it stops and starts when it wants annoying

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Double check each of the channels on the TX and make sure that you don't accidentally have more than one control switch mapped to a channel. I've had that happen and only after looking at it three times had the hand slap to the forehead moment.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Are you still using the same power cable for the Rx as you before, Jason? Sounds like something in the wiring might be intermittent, doesn't it?

Andy.

12. Jason Smoker

Gary yes I will do that i double checked yesterday but a slap to the forehead might work! haha

Andy its not the power cable as the rx light stays solid the whole time if it was faulty it would turn off right? :confused:
    And I am getting a solid connection with the GUI now after i changed the rx yesterday

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, you're right...I was just flat out speculating what on earth could be causing it.
    Sounds like you've cracked it though...

Andy.

14. Jason Smoker

So after some research i found out today that the JR rx and s-bus i have is not compatible with the movi. Why this system worked last yr with out the update i have no idea but anyway

SO faceplam to me bought a new compatible rx and I am back in business. Awesome

Thanks andy and gary for trying to help

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jason there was an update on the MoVI firmware to allow sBUS2 to work. It didn't in the previous version. Likely the upgrade cleaned up the interface. I wondered about the first photo since the RX didn't quite look like the Futaba RX's I have but thought maybe they had changed the case.

16. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

"So after some research i found out today that the JR rx and s-bus i have is not compatible with the movi"

Jr would be a DSMX or DSM2 radio type much like Spektrum.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jeff, Jason said that he is running the JR using sBus.

18. Jason Smoker

it was running a Futuba s-sbus with a JR propo rg831b for some reason this stopped working before the update then after the update it didnt work at all.

Then i changed to jr rg731bx that i had but then realized this has a X-BUS what the difference is i dont know.

So i took that off and now running a futaba r7008sb which finally did the trick.

I am thinking that the JR propo just dont mix well with MOVI. lessoned learned

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Sounds like the sage of the Android operating system. No two seem to be alike...

20. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

I might have to pick Paul Beard's brain about X-Bus the next time I see him.

Cheers,
    Jeff