/dist/images/branding/favicon

Instagram TV & Movi Portrait Mode

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rorick Edge, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

With Instagram's announcement, it looks like those of us who have a business on the platform will now be making vertical videos whether we like it or not. Freefly has a video on shooting in portrait mode. I tried it this morning. So far, I'm finding that maintaining the orientation is a bit fussy:

Any tips, or is it just a matter of practice?

I've also installed the IGTV app and watched a few examples. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I think that vertical video, when full screen, can work.

Anyone else going to get on board with IGTV, happily or not?

Here is Instagram's announcement, which includes a link to their help page on IGTV: https://instagram-press.com/blog/2018/06/20/welcome-to-igtv/

#1 Rorick Edge, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

I was just looking at this, guess vertical video has arrived lol. It does work well if audience is primarily mobile. What was the fussy part? I haven't done a lot but it seems to stay in portrait mode well.

I do hope they add support for vertical video in the Movi app. Will make it much easier if they save as a vertical one for editing.

#2 Steve Huether, Jun 21, 2018
  3. Rorick Edge

Marques Brownlee (mkbhd) has uploaded an interesting video on YouTube about IGTV and other attempts to challenge YouTube. He seems to think that this is credible. He's onboard and he's uploaded a brief clip to IGTV that already has 290,000 views. Here's his take on the situation:

Re the Movi, I'm finding that it's hard to perfectly maintain the orientation. Good if you haven't run into that. I'll keep playing with it.

#3 Rorick Edge, Jun 21, 2018
  4. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

He's got a pretty good feel for video these days, I'd say he'd got very valid points.

Once in portrait mode, make sure roll is locked?

5. Rorick Edge

If you want to be on both platforms, it appears that you have two choices. Either shoot and edit separate content for each or shoot once and crop for Instagram. My bet is that people opt for the latter. That means a shot in the arm for 4K. YouTubers who make money from their work, and who say that there are too many downsides to 4K, have just had the rug pulled out from under them. It also means learning to shoot and edit with both 16:9 and IGTV's requirement, which is a minimum of 4:5 and a maximum of 9:16, in mind.

I'd love to know whether Instagram set its format for technical reasons or because it thinks vertical will win, or at least win over a big chunk of makers.

The business I'm involved in uses Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Between the latter two, Instagram is more important to us. We may well dump YouTube and focus on the platform that allows us to post both photos and video. That would make life a lot easier. I just created our IGTV channel, and it couldn't be simpler.

I won't be surprised if YouTube suddenly becomes welcoming of vertical video :)

Reminiscent of the VHS/Betamax war?

#5 Rorick Edge, Jun 21, 2018
  6. Steve Huether

Steve Huether Member

Yea its going to be interesting to see... I have a feeling vertical is going to become a lot more popular. Simply because people watching content are lazy. I see so many people watch horizontal video on their phone while the device is in vertical orientation because they don't realize you can rotate it and make it fun screen. Makes no sense to me but I see so many people do it. Would be nice to see support for both. It is going to make it a hassle on the creator side... Shooting 8k suddenly makes more sense, to be able to crop out 4k vertical and horizontal frame.... yay, more post work!!! lol

What would be nice is a single resolution file(4k square maybe?) and you just set the horizontal and vertical crop marks. Device detects which orientation person is using and shows that crop. If that makes any sense?

IG TV has a lot of potential. Its simple, quick and already huge because its tied into existing infrastructure. Definitely can't be ignored.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  7. Rorick Edge

People have already figured out how to upload videos to IGTV that have to be watched with your phone or tablet in landscape orientation. In the IGTV app, check out @thebucketlistfamily Tonga/whales video. The thumbnail is vertical, but the video itself is sideways. To watch it properly, you have to turn your phone or tablet sideways :) However, the controls for the video remain vertical.

#7 Rorick Edge, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  8. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I remember the buzz around this video: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...rappers-iphone-filmed-how-great-video-w446044

The viewer is asked to lock the orientation of the phone, as the viewer needs to rotate their phone as the movie changes from landscape, portrait and landscape, portrait etc.

The Movi seems like it would be the perfect tool to try this type of experiment.

I love seeing all types of of different aspect ratios, whether it be widescreen, square, tall etc. I even like seeing multiple-aspect ratios like Christopher Nolan does with Interstellar and Dark Knight etc.

9. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

I had a play last night. Pretty easy. Set up the 9:16 project in your edit suite - move the footage in the frame to get it right and export. Send to your device - I used airdrop and it sends it right to camera roll where IGTV can pick it up.
    I re-jigged my showreel for IGTV. Moved the GFX etc to make them central.

Take a look @satureyes if you want to see how it came out.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  10. Rorick Edge

Three days after Instagram’s announcement, Marques Brownlee is the only major YouTube player who has commented.

Not a sound out of anyone else who matters.

11. Rick Bronks

Why do you think that is?

12. Rick Bronks

Tomorrow once I wake up I’m going to set up a mini studio at home with a green screen and mounting my 1dxii vertically. I’ll take the hdmi out to a monitor that I’ll also mount vertically. I’ll use some wireless mics too.

I’ll edit it and slap in some graphics and a not too cheesy background.

Interesting to see if I can build a channel on IGTV to a bigger audience than on YouTube.

Perhaps jumping on board now whilst it’s all new might be beneficial long term.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for third party smartphone apps cotton onto this and offer editing/titles but in a very simple way for vertical video.

There must be an acronym for this. VV? Vertvids?

Rorick Edge likes this.
  13. Rorick Edge

That’s an interesting question. Why was he out of the gate within hours, with a fairly interesting analysis, while every other player, including people like Neistat, is silent, waiting to see where the wind blows or avoiding the issue altogether?

I think that it’s because Brownlee is 22 and is clearly intelligent and wants to be his own man and has a broader view of what’s happening than most of his contemporaries.

There are apparently people who are claiming that he was paid off by Instagram, but I think that that is rubbish. If Instagram was paying people off, Brownlee wouldn’t be the only person talking.

It’s highly likely, if not obvious, that a number of other big YouTube players got the same briefing that he did, but every one of them is tongue-tied to this minute.

My view of Brownlee was pretty good to begin with, despite the kind of stuff one expects from a 22 year old over expensive cars, but my view of him has gone up over this.

#13 Rorick Edge, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  14. Rorick Edge

I’ve signed up to @satureyes on IGTV.

Looking forward to where you go with this.

15. Rick Bronks

A social media platform without Neistat can only be a good thing. Don’t even start me on him.

The lack of enthusiasm from the YT elite could be many things. It’s most probably because they don’t know how to edit vertical video and deal with it.

Another thing is that most of these insta-famous kids at rfjjjjn
    oh no. The pressure is on!

16. Rorick Edge

He’s great if your philosophy of life amounts to a cross between Dale Carnegie and Ayn Rand.

To be fair, before he invented the Internet, Neistat did make some amusing videos for the New York Times as part of its Op-Docs series.

#16 Rorick Edge, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  17. Rick Bronks

Meh. He’s horrible.

Anyway. In other news. I did my first ‘vertical’ for IGTV. Here’s the link. Comments welcome!

https://instagram.com/tv/BkYSOPdhTZC/

Rorick Edge likes this.
  18. Rorick Edge

You have real presence in front of a camera, and this video comes across much better than the re-formatting of your show reel, even though you have included some of the same footage.

I sometimes shoot 5x4 large format. Does that mean that I should be a natural at shooting with a camera sideways? :)

#18 Rorick Edge, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018