/dist/images/branding/favicon

Initial power up issue with PWD

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Scott Strimple, May 27, 2013.

1. Scott Strimple

Hi guys... I checked the power lead connections with my Vohm meter and it gave me the correct response..."rapid increasing values until off scale." As per Andy's build video.

I then plugged in a battery (no dc pwr supply available other than that) and got the buzzer chirps the rapid chimes for the motors and then the "dot dash dash dash" repeat buzzer. I then unplugged the buzzer and the battery and continued to watch Andy's build DVD for a bit before continuing on. When I powered up the board the second time (nothing changed since the first time) I smelled hot electronics immediately and saw the smoke escaping from under the pwd between the bl3 and bl2 area Caps.
    Now when I check the pwr connection I have a def short and the impedance is not increasing at all.
    I have checked the continuity between the "c" and "d" points and there is nothing open there. Every Capacitor contact point has continuity with each other. ref picture below:
    contact points.jpg

So is there supposed to be continuity between the CAP contact points?

Any advice or direction before I send this back to Quadrocopter? Thanks so much.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Scott:
    It sounds like, for reasons I don't understand, the board has, as you say, let the smoke out of the wires.... :(

I'm afraid the board will have to go back to Quadrocopter.

Measuring the resistance across those caps is probably not going to tell you much as they're in circuit with other things and those other things will mask what the caps are doing.

Sorry to hear about the smoke.
    Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Scott sorry to hear. Can you reload the picture a bit larger?

4. Scott Strimple

Thanks Andy... I figured as much but thought there might be an avenue to take.
    Hi Gary... here is a larger pic.
    BLPic.jpg