/dist/images/branding/favicon

Ideal camera operator set up

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Scott Strimple, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Scott Strimple

Hi guys I have spent some time sifting thru the threads in this section but am still a bit undecided. For those of you who are successfully using a second camera operator ... what are you using for a video down link set up?

Here is what my set up consists of:

C8 MK fltcontrol w/gps and navi
    FreeFly 3axis gimbal w/radians
    Graupner MX12 and GR12 for camera operator
    LawMate 1watt xmitter and receiver 1.2ghz with the stock whip ant on the xmitter and ibcrazy bluebeam cp cloverleaf on the receiver
    FreeFly HDMI converter
    SmallHD DP6 moniter

I was going to use the ibcrazy Bluebeam cp cloverleaf ant for the transmitter as well but it was destroyed in a careless mishap last week. Before I soak any more money into the same old system I had before I wanted to check with y'all and see what is working for you.
    What kind of range are you getting with your video? Are you using a patch ant vice the CP cloverleaf?
    I would like to be able to have a reliable signal while shooting aerials in the open for up to 300 yards or so.

I obviously need something more than the stock whip ant that comes with the lawmate system as that didn't have much performance beyond a block or so.

My xmitter is mounted on one of the landing legs of the gimbal with the whip pointed down and out just a bit... I can also mount the CP cloverleaf ant in the same position with it facing parallel to the ground or aimed at the ground. The DP6 has the receiver mounted to the back via velcro with the whip ... but I can obviously equip it with a CP cloverleaf also. I've been told to use a patch ant recently for optimum results, but ibcrazy's video tutorials would appear to suggest otherwise.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel or even get crazy with tinkering.. just trying to get the footage in the can for the client as efficiently as possible so any direction that is yielding good solid results is appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Photos sometimes help here Scott. First if you put a dipole antenna on the transmitter the cloverleaf CP antenna will typically have degraded performance since it is looking for a CP transmitter. To confuse it more there are right hand and left hand CP antennas so everything needs to match.

Antenna on the copter pointing down and the antenna on the receiver pointing up. Shouldn't need a patch antenna but it doesn't hurt. Just more directional. Great if you are flying out and back but may be worse side to side. Steve Maller what are you using?

I use a 5.8 setup from Iftron. Expensive but solid performance. Have tested in a ground test and been out more than 1 mile with a good signal.

3. Scott Strimple

Thanks Gary ... I'll get some pics up shortly. So your using 5.8 for the camera op... do you use 1.2 or 900 for anything?
    I was using 1.2 for the ability to maintain signal integrity while flying around objects such as tree branches and structures. But the whip ant to whip ant combination isn't yielding much more than about 50yds of signal before it drops. It's a bit frustrating to say the least. The cloverleaf CP ant combo was originally used on a ReadymadeRC xmitter / rx set up that worked a bit better but still not setting the world on fire.. again 1.2ghz. So where I'm at now is I have the Lawmate 1.2 system from Quadrocopter and was searching for an ant combination that would yield considerably better results. Hence the IbCrazy CP bluebeam stuff. I don't have enough experience with 1.2 or 5.8 to know what to expect and simply don't have the time or resources to start experimenting at this point. The Quadrocopter folks suggest 1.2 for cam op and 5.8 for fpv when you start to "build your own" but I'm not really sure why. IMG_7672.jpg IMG_7673.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Scott Strimple

Yikes... not sure what happend to the pics..sorry bout that

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Only 1 block with 1 watt, you must be behind buildings or not have the antennas on tight as I have gone 6miles on a 1watt system, that was at a high altitude with my penguin, but I have also gone 2 miles at about 50feet with a forest between me and the bird and still have full signal.
    Since you already have 1.3 I would then suggest a 5.8 for the second system the camera op would use. I say that because 5.8 is easily blocked and I would rather have the pilot have the view the longest then my camera op. not saying with good teamwork you camera op couldn't steal the pilot in the right direction if video fails but overall I would rather have the pilot with the stronger signal.

6. Scott Strimple

So Paul are you getting that kind of range using the std whip ant?

7. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

The 6miles was with a CP antenna while the 2 miles in trees was with a whip.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Scott part of the issue might be the mounting of the TX and antenna. With it that close to the landing leg it is likely that you are getting some signal blocking due the carbon leg. Not sure what the blue antenna wire is with the prongs? Do a search of the forum for antenna and you will find some posts of how others have mounted their antenna and transmitters.

9. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Gary if I'm not mistaken that's a notch filter, what I would like to know is where you found one!

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Since I've never seen one that looks like that, usually a barrel cylinder, could that also be contributing to the issue?

11. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

A notch filter is meant to get rid of very specific frequencies, a 1300 notch gets rid of 900, I believe that's the low end, and the 1500mhz. The importance of 1500mhz is that is the normal GPS frequency and when operating a high power 1.3 system you can blank out your GPS. What you are thinking is of a low pass filter which just lowers all but the frequency you want. A notch filter will actually get rid of specific frequencies.

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Thanks. I was thinking of the ReadyMadeRC TX/RECV that have a SAW filter.

13. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

So the notch filter will be acting as an attenuator for the 1.2 Mhz system, blocking the signal frequencies you need it to transmit.
    You need this instead: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Low-Pass-Antenna-Filter-for-1.2GHz-1.3GHz-TX.html
    This passes the 1.2Ghz signal but blocks the first harmonic at 2.4Ghz which might otherwise interfere with flight control.

I've often wondered about a filter for the 2.4Ghz range that would attenuate its first harmonic at 5.8 Ghz....not sure it's an actual problem, though.

Andy.

16. Scott Strimple

Will I'll be... after further review.. I see where the notch filter I have from ibcrazy is infact the 433 to filter 1.3 so that would explain why I'm getting such low performance... What I thought I ordered and what my paperwork says I ordered are 2 different things. I have just ordered the ibcrazy notch filter for 1.3/2.4 systems that will choke the 2.4 signal harmonic from the 1.3 xmitter so hopefully that will solve my problem. Thanks so much guys for all of your comments and your time to respond. It's amazing how simple it can be sometimes... so simple that I don't even consider it until someone else mentions it. :)

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

That's why we like to see photos. It typically is the non mentioned items that cause and issue and just aren't evident to the user. I learned to take photos of my rig every once in awhile and nearly each time while studying those images see things that would make sense to change.