/dist/images/branding/favicon

I2C error counter question

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Looking at m GPX file I see that I have a I2C error counter number of 046 during the run, is this normal? I attached the GPX file. How do the motor currents and temps look?

Attached Files:

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

No you shouldn't be seeing an I2C errors... thats a bit scary since thats what's controlling your motors... Are you running all MK electronics currently? If so check the Molex connector and make sure it's plugged in snug.

Josh

3. Dave King

ON the 5 logs I have 2 of them show error 46 and 3 of them show error 48. I"m not using the molex connector anymore, I bypassed it and I checked contunity on the pins. I didn't experience any noticable iregularities during any of the fights. I can plug the connector back in but I can't get it back up in the air right now as I sent my MX20 back in for service. Does anyone know what those 2 errors are that might help pinpoint the problem?

4. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

5. Dave King

Brad thanks. I don't see the IT codes though on that page they don't go up that high numerically. I see what you mean about number 8. I see that in a couple other logs as well. I don't know what to make out of that. I will check to make sure number 8 motor is aligned correctly and rotate it to see if there's any weird bearing issues going on.

Anyone have a list of ITC codes?

6. Dave King

Whats weird is that I get no IC2 errors in MK tools.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave: Is that when you use MK Tools on the ground or via Xbee in the air?

(Apologies...re: GPX files....running late (surprise!)...still editing.)

Andy.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I did some checking tonight and I don't know that the "I2C errors: 046" is a code but rather a count of the total number of I2C events. THe column is labeled 'FC_I2C_ErrorCounter'. Since it already has 46 events when the log starts and doesn't change over time I would suspect something is triggering it as you power up the copter, prior to motor start and lift off. Dave can you pull some of your first flight logs and let's take a look at those?

Also I looked at a number of my logs and that columns always shows 000.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

For the DVD research, I checked the source code....the FC_I2C_ErrorCounter is indeed a count. Flight logging doesn't occur until (a) you have GPS fix and (b) the throttle is over a setting of 40 (using the copter's internal representation of the throttle setting) -- meaning the copter is flying. Thus those 46 errors are happening before flight logging starts as Gary surmises. They just don't get reported until the flight logging starts.

As Gary alludes to, they may be start up errors. My flight logs all show a zero error count too.

Using MK Tool's Scope feature (especially if you use Xbee), you can select only the FC_I2C.... value to be shown on the scope and you can monitor that from earlier in time than flight logging to see exactly when they are occurring (the Scope starts running as soon as MK Tool has established contact with the MK Board to which it is attached. It's not absolutely certain you'll see the I2C errors even then -- they may be happening during the initial power up of the boards before MK Tool has communications established, but it's worth a try.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

10. Dave King

Guys thanks. I only have a total of 7 logged GPX files so far. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I hard wired the IC2 bus instead of using the molex cable? I made the cables very short and they are twisted. I also checked continity with a meter and everything is good. I looked at the first GPX (attached here) and it has an error counter of 46 right from the very first logged point. I will open up MK tools and see if I can find any errors based on your suggestions.

Attached Files:

11. Dave King

I hooked up the MX12 I bought for the camera man and did some logging with the props off (its snowing and 15 degrees out) The first thing I noticed is that right off the bat as soon as I start logging I have IT error counters from the very first instance. It doesn't change. I did 2 tests which I have attached the GPS files. Another thing that I noticed on logging is that it says the battery voltage was low but on the main summary page it says it never dropped below 15 volts. I did take a battery that was in storage voltage just for the test but I did notice a difference between logged voltage and the voltage it said on the summary page. As soon as I took the battery off the C8 I put it on the charger and it shows 15.2 volts. I know the battery voltage would drop at start up because of the current draw but why would it not show on the main summary page? Any thoughts to the IT error issue?

Attached Files:

12. Dave King

OK, I just plugged the molex connector back in and it makes no difference. As soon as I start logging I get an instant IC error count of something between 11 and 55 and it stays the same throughout logging.

13. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I would save all your settings on your FC then re-flash the board and see if that helps... wondering if there could be something up with the code on startup? If it's still happening after the re-flash then it's most likely some type of hardware issue.

Josh

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave when you connected the molex did you disconnect the direct wire?

15. Dave King

i would't hurt to try that. Gary I have not done that yet because its a bit of a pain to do. I was thinking about hooking up each pair of wires to connectors so that I could disconnect rather easily when I need to maintenance the board anyway.

Here's the interesting thing, when I am in MK tools and I start up the software in navigation mode, the IC2 error counter starts at 0 until I initiate the gyros. At this time the counter goes from 0 to 5, and will increment it by 5 every time I initiate the gyros. When I switch to the flight controller board in MK tools as soon as I see the IC2 error in the list (even before I select it to start recording) I see that number something from 45 to 75 every single time I power up MK tools and switch to the FCB. This count number always stays the same no matter what I do after initial power up. So the IC2 errors are not matching in navigation mode to FCB mode and IC2 errors increment by 5 every time I initiate the gyros.

Thoughts?

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Next thing I would do is reinstall all of the MK software and try the exact test again as suggested by Josh. Hopefully it is a software issue. I would also suggest doing a search over at the MK forum and if you don't find anything similar then post the same question there. Maybe Holger or someone will have a suggestion.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave saw that you posted on another thread that you re-installed the Molex and the problem went away. Was that correct?

18. Dave King

No! I believe the issue with the errors has nothing to do with the mod which is why I posted that. I even disconnected the hard wires (unsoldered them) and I still have the errors despite only using the connector.

19. Dave King

Update: I reinstalled the Flight control firmware and it did the trick. I no longer have any IC counter errors. I made 3 GPX logs and verified that the Xbee was telling the correct info. What's weird is that when I reloaded the firmware and after it installed it, the F/C still had my settings in there. I have no idea why. I know for sure it went through as I watched it go through and it cleared the IC counter issue. Is this weird?

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I don't think the firmware upgrade blasts away the previous settings -- they must be stored in a different part of the flash memory because I've seen this phenomenon before.

Glad you got rid of the I2C errors, though, Dave.

Andy.