/dist/images/branding/favicon

I Got Nothing...

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Chris Daidone, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry for the delayed response. Damned day job! :)

OK. So, the next move is, as I mentioned above: Assign POTI 4 to either Servo 3, 4 or 5 on the FC board, and run a cable from whichever you choose to the Tilt Radian port 2. Then test (using the Radian software connected to the tilt Radian that you have Mode control when you operate the switch).

Just focus on that aspect first. Be very careful about getting the correct connector on the FC board. And double check in MK Tool that when you operate the switch that you're seeing channel 8 changing and that you have assigned channel 8 to POTI4.

Andy.

2. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

No worries Andy...

Ok, so I assigned POTI 4 to servo 3 on the FC board via MKTools. I then ran the cable from servo 3 top, to port 2 on the tilt radian. I connected the Radian software.... When I activated the 3-position switch, it actually effected slew.... not the modes.

When I put the switch up, it would throw the slew to 175%, middle position -5%, down -170%

Mode is still red in center position.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm.
    Well, that proves that the Servo 3 output on the FC is working at least
    What I don't understand is why it's affecting the slew. Port 2 on a Radian is either the Slew Mode input or, if you have specified an Aux port for the Radian, then it will emit PWM for that port number. But in neither case should port 2 on a Radian control the slew, only the Mode.

What would be good would be to isolate the tilt Radian and servo from the roll Radian and Servo so that we're not having to worry about them muddying the diagnostic waters. You'll need to provide servo power to the tilt Radian as I believe you have the BEC feeding power to the roll Radian at present.

Also can you confirm on the tilt radian (by connecting up directly to the tilt Radian and using the Radian) that you are not using the Aux port. Port 2. It should be off.

Perhaps you could take a screen shot of the Tilt Radian's setup window?

Andy.

4. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Ok.... So after rechecking... The wire coming from the FC was orignially going into port 1 on the tilt... My bad. I then ran it to port 2. I now have mode control, but slew is red. See attached image.

Attached Files:

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Right. That's to be expected. But, if I understand you correctly, you now have Radian Mode controlled by the three position switch.

Now we can turn to slew control. So, if I am re-reading the previous messages correctly, you have another 3-position switch, already assigned to channel 7 on the transmitter. And, assuming you've not changed anything you have POTI3 assigned to channel 7 in MK Tool, right?

So now, in the Camera Window of MK Tool, at the top, under the word Nick, assign that to POTI3 (it may already be assigned).

Then, make sure you have a servo lead connected from the Flight Control Board Nick connector, and connect it to Port 1 of the tilt Radian.

Then, looking at the Diagnostic Window of the Radian software, waggle the switch on the transmitter that signal should then be channel 7 on the Receiver, POTI3 in MK Tool, and Port 1 of the tilt Radian.

If you operate the switch, then you should see the Slew slider in the Radian diagnostic window moving and, with luck, the tilt servo as well.

Andy

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just to be clear, look at the diagram of the FC. The Nick is shown as servo 1, which is the bottom row of pints. Note the orientation of the Black/Red/Orange wires on the diagram. The actually will only need the Black and Orange pins (Black is ground, Orange is PWM signal).

Sometimes servo leads can be Black, Red, White, or Black, Red, Brown. The red is always the center.

If it works, great, if not, then take a close up image of where you have the cable connected to the FC board please.

Andy.

7. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Ok.. just to circle back since there has been a lot of information passed. The original owner had only one wire coming off of the FC board. That wire was coming from the nick on the FC board running to the nick Radian (port 1). So I took that wire that we had in servo 3 and put it back to the nick on the FC board.

I verified the wires were oriented correctly on the FC board and ran it once again to port 1 on the nick Radian. When I ran the Radian software, I now have slew control with POTI-3 like we figured, but nothing is happening with the gimbal because the mode bar is in mode 3.... but it's red.

I think we're getting close....

8. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

If the wiring is correct, could it be that the servos are shot and thats why the mode isn't green?

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I would argue that that's possibly a false inference! :) It's based on the premise that the wiring is correct -- and I'm not yet convinced of that. :)

Did you notice on the image that you posted in message #24 above, that when the Mode switch operates it's output value is 175% and the Mode indicator rectangle is way off to the right (beyond the "green zone") of the Mode status.

I think that might be the problem (I'm speculating -- but it's worth eliminating this as a possible problem). Can you read your transmitter manual and see if there is something called "Dual Rate" applied to that channel. I've lost track of which transmitter you are using. If it's the DX9, then look at page 26. You'll need to find a way to cut the amount of "travel" (pretend the switch was controlling a physical servo) so that the switch only moves the indicator rectangle into the center of the green area not hard over.

It may be that it's the "Absolute Travel" that's set wrong, or it could be the "Dual Rate" -- but something is set too high for that switch.

I don't have a DX9 so I'm afraid you'll have to experiment.

Andy.

10. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

That's funny you should mention that... I woke up from a dead sleep last night thinking the same thing. So I switched the the wire on the FC board from the nick to port 3. I then ran the Radian software while dialing in POTI-4 (ch8) from the tx. I got it so it its dialed in from the middle of the red, to center, to middle of the green.

I then tried both port 1 and port 2 on the tilt Radian... Still nothing. I have a green mode button that cycles correctly, but slew is dead center and red.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. So it sounds like you have Mode control working again, right? (An image would be helpful with the switch set to Mode Stabilized Slew).

So you need to double check the chain of assignments for the slew control. As I mentioned above, with the Mode switch set to the position that puts it into the green:

Now we can turn to slew control. So, if I am re-reading the previous messages correctly, you have another 3-position switch, already assigned to channel 7 on the transmitter. And, assuming you've not changed anything you have POTI3 assigned to channel 7 in MK Tool, right?

So now, in the Camera Window of MK Tool, at the top, under the word Nick, assign that to POTI3 (it may already be assigned).

Then, make sure you have a servo lead connected from the Flight Control Board Nick connector, and connect it to Port 1 of the tilt Radian.

Then, looking at the Diagnostic Window of the Radian software, waggle the switch on the transmitter that signal should then be channel 7 on the Receiver, POTI3 in MK Tool, and Port 1 of the tilt Radian.​

If the Slew bar in the Radian software does not move, when you operate the Slew Switch, then let me know. We'll worry about the tilt servo itself later -- you've got to get the Slew bar in the Radian software moving first.

Andy.

12. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Yes, you are correct. POTI-3 is assigned to channel 7 and is assigned to the nick control in MKTools.... The problem lies with the latter part of your last post. See the previous owner had everything running off one FC board lead coming off of the nick. Your asking me to add another connection?

I don't have anymore wires.... I guess I need to buy / create more?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm afraid you will need to get some more servo cables. The local hobby shop will have them -- they're just called servo cables. You want male-to-male, I suspect. (Servo extension cables have a male connector at one end and a female connector at the other).

Note, in this business, the gender of a connector is based on the housing not the pins.

Weird: Two of the likely hobby shops in Raleigh, NC have web sites that are dead!! They should be open tomorrow though.

Anyway here's an example. Obviously you can get these in various lengths. If you need to remove a wire (e.g. to avoid sending +5 on the red wire), you can pry up one of the little fingers of the connector with something pointed, and it will allow you to pull the connector back out of the housing, and you can peel the wire free down to the other end and remove that connector.

Plan on building a stock of these servo cables. You'll ultimately need to be able to make up your own, but that can wait.

Sooner or later you will need to know about http://www.hansenhobbies.com/ and will get one of these crimping tools: http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/tools/crimp_dx/

You'll also end up buying the crimp-on connectors, servo wire and female housings/pins (you tend to use the female connectors less frequently that the males).

Then you'll need storage boxes and plastic crates. It's what the late George Carlin referred as "stuff for your stuff." :)

Andy.

14. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

10/4.....I'll get on that today and I'll let you know when I'm set. Thanks!

15. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Ok.... Some interesting developments to report. I went to the hobby shop and got the servo wires that I needed. Per your guidance, I connected it to servo 3 on the FC board and then to port 2 on the tilt Radian. I also ran power to the tilt Radian to bypass the roll Radian. I got nothing.....

Then I just figured I'd reset all connections to how the orginal owner had it once again, and also connected up both Radians. So as a refresher here is how the connections are currently:

Tilt:

Port 1 - FC nick
    Port 2 - Port 3 roll Radian
    Port 4 - Servo

Roll:
    Port 2 - BEC
    Port 4 - Servo

Interstingly enough.... I once again have tilt response.... Go figure! Both compensation, and control via POTI-3. But what puzzles me is what I now see on the Radian Software (See image)

When the original owner had it, mode was green and all the way to the right...... Now its center and red.... Yet I still have slew and the tilt Radian responds how it should. The only difference between the tilt Radian picture, and that of the roll, is that they are identical except that the roll slew is also red.

We're 50% there.....

Attached Files:

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did I actually say port 2 on the Radian? OMG.
    I can only see in message 31 above where I said: "Then, make sure you have a servo lead connected from the Flight Control Board Nick connector, and connect it to Port 1 of the tilt Radian."

Hmmm. I'm afraid you've reached the limit of my knowledge on this Chris....I've no idea what to try next given that you've reverted back to the original configuration, I'm afraid.

I wish I knew where to start....

Andy.

17. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

My bad Andy, you did say port 1, and I did try that.... I got nothing, and I tried port 2 as well. Once again nothing. I understand, and also thank you for dedicating such a tremendous amount of time with this issue of mine. You went well beyond what most would have done and I'm forever grateful. I'll still be plugging away at the roll Radian... If over the coming days or weeks some new info pops up, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks again!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're welcome, Chris...all I can recommend you to do, is disconnect everything, and then proceed to add things back one at time, methodically checking at each stage that it works. Sketch out a wiring diagram of what you have as you go and double check which connections are going where. Triple check'em. If they're wrong, it will not work.

Only add one component at a time, e.g. FC -> tiltRadian. Nothing else. Then test with the Radian software.

You've got the transmitter set up correctly (you can use MK Channels screen to verify the channels and POTI setup).

So from there it's a case of taking the correct channel from the FC board into the appropriate Radian and verifying with the Radian software that it is doing what you want it to. Leave the servos until last -- because if the Radian software is not showing the correct thing, then the servos will never work.

Also remember to actually write any changes to make back out to the modules -- which includes MK Tool writing to the FC and the Radian software to each individual Radian module. If you don't do this, the settings will not take permanent effect.

When you've figured it out, post again and let us know what you found.

By the way, the last thing it's likely to be is hardware failure. That's not to say it will not be hardware failure, but it is to say that it is more likely to be a software setup error, a wiring error, or "user error." ;)

Andy.

19. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris do you have or can you borrow a standard Spektrum AR RX/Satellite combo? Eliminate the possibility that the MK FC is the issue. Hook it put this way if you can get hold of another Sat or simply plug your current Sat directly into the Radian.

Roll Radian
    Spektrum Port - Sat RX
    Port 1 - BEC Power
    Port 3 - Servo to Port 1 on the Tilt
    Port 4 - Connected to Roll Servo. Make sure the that resistor is plugged into the other wire off of the servo.

Tilt Radian
    Port 1 - Input from the Roll Radian
    Port 4 - Output to the Tilt Servo. Make sure the that resistor is plugged into the other wire off of the servo.

I don't see in the thread whether this has been tried. If it works then there is an issue with the MK FC.

20. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Gary, I hooked up up exactly as you stated above.... Nothing different. Still have tilt control / compensation. No response from the roll. Still solid green light with fast blinking orange.