/dist/images/branding/favicon

Hyperion EOS 720i Dual reports "NO BALANCER"

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Mike Peters, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I'm unable to charge my 3S 1200mah LiPo packs because of this error. Here are the steps I'm following:
    1. Power on the power siupply/charger
    2. Plug in the main battery leads
    3. Plug in the pack into balancer board in the port labeled 3S
    4. Attempt to charge
    This is happening with 3 brand new (only charged once) packs. I've tried swapping cables, balancing boards, etc. The charger works just fine with my 6S 9000mah batteries.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike can you shoot some screen shots? When you connect the battery you have programmed a new channel for the 3S 1200 LiPo? Balance connector is plugged into the proper port on the balancer attachment?

3. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Here is a series of photos with the connections, battery and charger screens.

Attached Files:

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok here's the things worth checking.

1. Are you getting the same result on the other channel?
    2. Try taking the adapter board off of the other channel or switching the wiring harness.
    3. Is it happening with all of your 3s Packs?
    4. Do you have any other balance device like the Extreme Power Analyzer that QC sells to see if the balance leads are actually working?
    5. Unplug all of the leads for the balance boards and replug everything in.

And if all else fails give QC a call in the morning. If it was one pack and the above doesn't work then I would suspect the battery. But not several.

Also if you are in Phoenix maybe you and Josh can get together to try and isolate the problem, assuming he is using the Hyperion.

5. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Tried swapping everything around and starting over. All 3 3S packs fail. I ordered the Power Analyzer and it should be here Friday or Saturday. Josh has been hard to reach. He's really busy these days. Unfortunately the 3S packs are for my Radian's and 5.8 downlink. Will a 4S work or will that be too much voltage?

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

If you have a BEC supplying step down of the voltage you would be ok. But the TX probably was direct to the 3s while the Radians probably have some type of BEC. Depending on your TX and camera pure 4S might fry them. If you can get the feed to 12v you should be ok.

Sounds like there might be something amiss with your charger. Maybe reinstall the firmware from the Hyperion website?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you have a volt/ohm meter, the next thing I would try is checking the continuity of the pins on the adapter panel (to which you connect the Lipo balancer plug) with the pins in the connector that plugs into the Hyperion, just to double check the wiring. It seems really unlikely that both ports and both cable sets have failed, but that's what the evidence is suggesting, if I'm understanding what you've already tried.

Andy.

8. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Contacted QC today and determined that the batteries were over discharged and have become junk. I bought two new ones at the local hobby shop (Frank's Hobby House) and they charge just fine. Another ex[emsove "learning lesson" for the rookie...

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, over-discharging or forgetting to bring LiPo's to storage voltage can be an expensive lesson.
    Andy.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mike try not taking them down below 20%. Bit lower occasionally shouldn't cause damage. Run a lipo down to 5% and buy some new ones. When you get your Extreme Lipo checker see if you can get any type of voltage reading and let us know what you have. Also you can check voltage with a meter. Ground on the black wire and then each cell as you touch the various leads will be cumlative. Bit strange when I first did that.

11. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

FYI, the Extreme Power Analyzer from QC was able to rescue 2 of my 4 dead packs by "Balancing" them. I was then able to charge them as normal.