/dist/images/branding/favicon

how to set pan radian so that it follows front boom?

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Devin Card, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi Guys,

I originally had my setup so that camera would stay pointing towards front boom while flying until my camera guy moved it. I reset raidan and now can't seem to set i up the same way. Now the radian points the camera in the same direction no matter how the heli rotates....I searched the forums, google etc and cant sem to find an answer.....maybe I have not had enough coffee as it seems like it should be an easy solution

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you switching your 3 position mode switch to the pan skew mode. Mode 0 is off, Mode 1 is stabilized tilt/roll, pan is not powered, Mode 2 is tilt/roll stab and pan is in skew mode.

3. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Unfortunately i only have a 2 position switch....so I switch between mode 1 and mode two

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Then leave it in Mode 1 and the pan shouldn't be panning assuming that all of your Radian setup for the pan Radian are correct.

Devin Card likes this.
  5. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Thanks for your help Gary! I thought I had it before where when in mode 3 it wouldn't pan unless from input.....am I on glue or do I need to change the min max angle or set a hold position?​

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

What other folks do is use a velcro strap to tie the rear leg of the gimbal to the rear boom. Then there is no way it will pan. Always locked.

7. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi,
    I need to clarify....the servo is adjusting the camera so its seems to be going to a fixed position "10 degrees" no matter rotation of heli....if i ziptied it in mode 3 it would stress the servos if they were fighting it...what I want is it to not move in mode 3 until my operator pans it
    I have tried changing the fixed angle to a number and to hold on pan axis but nothing is working

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Devin I don't think you can do what you want unless the Cam Op switches the mode from Mode 1 to Mode 2 manually. I'm not aware of anything in the software that will do it.

9. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

If I us
    The only way I can see you being able to do what you want would be to set the pan gain to 0. In theory it will not be compensating the for aircraft yaw, which would make having a 3 axis gimbal useless. If I understand you correctly. The normal operation as Gary stated is to have the pan counter the aircraft yaw so that as the a/c's nose moves around the the pan stays pointed to the same compass heading that the cam op commands.

The gimbal should not be moving on its own when in Stable Slew Mode other than compensating for the above said a/c yaw. This could be an indication of some trim in the controller. I had a problem once with the tilt moving on its own, found out the cam op accidentally put some trim in the controller while in flight.

I might be having trouble following your issue though. If it is moving on its own it maybe having a gyro calibration issue at start up. You might want to set the switch from the off position then to the stabilize slew mode 2 when airborne. The off position is the only way to sort of soft reset it in flight. I have found that I have had to do this before when the gimbal was doing some erratic movements. At initial startup it is normal for the pan servo to rotate the boom about 10 degrees before the initialization is complete.

10. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

If mode 1 is 0ff, Mode 2 Is fixed tilt/roll stabilized Mode 3 is stabilize slew with pan control.

Mode 2 compensates for tilt and roll but you do not have any control over the tilt and roll axis. Pan axis is locked out. This mode is nice for take off to get some stability in the footage at takeoff and landing. Mode 3 of course you now can command the tilt and roll as well as pan.