/dist/images/branding/favicon

How many satellites?

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Andy Habin, May 17, 2016.

1. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

I was doing a training flight today in a valley on the north of my island. When I dropped down into the valley I saw the Alta app telling me that it only had 6 sats locked. I was in a hight hold at the time, tracking up and down the length of the valley. Just out of interest I switched to GPS mode to see how well held it was, well, not very well at all!

Have any of you had similar happenings? I have no problem with going full manual to bring the aircraft home, but I can imaging a few situations where this may hinder the shooting being done.

Many thanks,

Andy.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy 6 sats is the minimum. The issue is that the accuracy, even with six, can be low. Especially if the six that are locked are low to the horizon. It is possible to be the valley and then due to the height of the surrounding terrain to lose 1 or more due to the physical blocking of the signal by terrain or trees, etc. Add to that any solar storm activity and there are number of variables than can impact a GPS signal.

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  3. Andy Habin

Andy Habin New Member

Thanks Gary. That's more or less what I was thinking. Have you or has anyone else had any issues due to poor position holding?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Primarily with large solar storms. See the chart at www.noaa_kp_3d.gif. Stay away from the RED. RED is not your friend...

5. Martin Osborne

I often have very low sats, in all conditions. Ireland.

6. Romand Walter

Romand Walter New Member

Hello,
    We are having big issue with the fix! I hink GPS lock isn't trustfull! Difficult for many jobs where the fix is the beginnig of the shots.
    Anyone has experienced others antennas or moving the existing antenna?