/dist/images/branding/favicon

How High the canister 8 can fly? (AJL: That's Cinestar 8 )

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Fernando García, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Fernando García

Fernando García New Member

just wondering how high, or if it depends on something... thanks!

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It definitely depends on something. :)
    What exactly are you imagining?
    And are you asking at what altitude it can take off from, or how high above ground level it can ascend?

3. Fernando García

how high above the ground level can ascend?
    Thanks Steve

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Fernando, the maximum altitude of the Cinestar is determined by three factors:
    1. How heavy a payload are you flying?
    2. How big are the batteries that you are using?
    3. What is the density altitude of the air at ground level where you are launching? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude to understand density altitude.

I do not know whether anyone has formally tested it for the Cinestar, but for full scale manned helicopters the so call "service ceiling" (or maximum operational altitude) is around a density altitude of 14,000 feet above sea level. (I may be wrong on the exact number, that that's typical, I believe).

So, if you have large enough batteries and you are taking off at sea level, the odds are you could probably get up to, oh, say, 10,000 feet above ground level.

I'm not sure which country you are thinking of flying in, but if you were in the USA, and taking off at sea level, the last 9,600 feet of that ascent would be illegal as you are only allowed to fly to a maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level.

Andy.

5. Fernando García

ok, thanks a lot ...
    Im flying in Los Cabos, Mexico ...

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm not sure what the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil regulations are for unmanned aircraft.
    Given that Los Cabos is at 20 meters/70 feet, and presuming you are not going to put a huge, heavy payload on the Cinestar I'm pretty sure it will go high enough to get you arrested! :)

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I take that back. I did some Google searches and, as far as I can tell, the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil has NO UAV regulations. So in which case, my statement should be: it will fly high enough that you'll not be able to see it. Even with binoculars! :) But you will not get arrested.

Andy.

8. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I suppose it depends on how you want it to come down. Keep in mind that at 400 feet you can barely see what it is doing up there. Anything higher you will have to rely on video, preferably on that has an on screen display giving your aircraft info. Also know that it is not easy to bring it down from high altitudes. You typically want to descend into wind with speed, otherwise you can disrupt the airflow of those spinning things that let it fly. They can stall if comming down to fast you might be picking up the pieces to your copter and camera of the ground after it crashes.

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Hi all. I've been looking for altitude info too. I'm heading to the Karakoram mountains soon and trying to do some film work at ~4000-5000m. I'm hanging a Sony a7s under a CS8, stripping as much stuff off as possible. I've found very little info on how well I'll be able to push the air around there, though.

I don't have weights or specs for my machine on hand, but can anyone offer any advice on prop selection? I'm currently running the standard booms (450mm) and 13" carbon props (pitch unknown). By my measurements, I could fit 14" props with 6mm to spare between tip, though I don't know how much flex to anticipate in action.

Fernando, did you have a particular project in mind, or simply curious?

10. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

According to Ecalc at 3000 meters with 14 inch X 6 props you are looking at 5 min at 7.5 KG with a 10,000 mah battery. I was modeling using a Mikrokopter Motor which appeared to be the closest one I could find without going too crazy. You might want to check Ecalc out and see if you can get close to your actual weight. There have been people here who have claimed those altitudes.

11. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Thanks Shaun, much obliged. I'll punch some numbers there and see what I get.

Mat

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Calling the copter a "Canister" in the title of this thread is creating an itch that I need to scratch.
    Anyone mind if I edit the thread title to say Cinestar?

Andy.

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Please do not. It is a welcome source of amusement to my admittedly sick mind. ;)

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. I'll just add the word "Cinestar" at the end of the thread title so others searching for Cinestar will find it.

Andy.

15. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

I'll second that. Without intending to poke fun at Fernando, it's like one of those language foibles you should but can't bring yourself to correct, to the overall greater good.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Personally, Steve's "Sinostar" -- used to refer to a Chinese replica of the Cinestar is still the winner...

Andy.

mathewfarrell and Steve Maller like this.