/dist/images/branding/favicon

How do I power the Scarlet Red Camera

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Newman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Chris, I do not think that is the right Lemo for the DC input. I am going to have some EPIC power cables made soon for powering the EPIC off a 4s lipo.

Best,

Tabb

3. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

4. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Just cut the first cable you listed and put a deans, ec2, etc connector on it to power via your lipo. The XLR connector is heavy!

5. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I thought about that but i didnt know if there were 6 cables hanging (as its a 6 pin) out after I were to cut it or just 2. Im guessing 2? If 2 then how do I know what is positive / negative. I appreciate your help! The scarlet arrives on Monday ;)

6. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

HI Chris, you need to consult the Scarlet manual and it has the Pinout diagram for positive and negative wires. There are 2 Pos and 2 Neg wires. The other 2 wires are for battery status I think and not needed in our application.

Best,

CineChopper likes this.
  7. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Chris, the industry standard for 4 pin XLR power connectors is pin 1 = GROUND and pin 4 = HOT. Because RED sometimes does things their own way it would be best to first verify that and then, as Tabb mentioned, you can simply splice the cable, discard the XLR portion and use the connector of your choice.

nick

CineChopper likes this.
  8. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Hey Tabb and Nick,

I'm guessing it's a standard 4 pin XLR set up as the RED technician I talked to did not know how the cable was wired. He said to refer to other peoples 4 pin XLR's. My cable and red showed up today so I will give it a go! Thanks for your help!

9. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I opened up the XLR end, looks like the Green / Red go to positive and the white / black go to negative. There was a also an orange and blue cables, but those were not attached to anything. Turns out only the cable came in the mail but not the Scarlet, hopefully soon :) Thanks for your help!

10. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

It's troubling the RED tech didn't know that stuff. Pretty amazing. o_O
    Sounds like you're good to go, though. Please take some pics and post when you have it all going!

nick

11. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Yeah, I thought the same thing Nick! Here is a photo of how I combined the wires for anyone who needs to figure it out. However I haven't tested it out yet. I'll let you know!

Attached Files:

12. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Just tested it out and it works!!!!!

13. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

What size battery are you using to power the RED? I am going to need to get one too.

Also Tabb, When do you think you will have your cables ready?

Josh

14. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Hey Josh, I'm using the 4s 6200 quadrocopter batteries for powering the camera on the ground.
    Still need to get one for flight. Anyone know of a good one?

15. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

H Guys,

One word of warning when using Ultra Deans Connectors, especially when using them to power a $34,000 camera. I have, twice now shorted those connectors out when plugging them up because I was in a hurry and I caught the spring tab with the edge of the female connector and when I pushed it bent the tab over and shorted it against the positive post. I highly reccomend that you connect that connector to the battery and then when you are ready to power the camera plug the Lemo connector into the camera. This how I power Reds when we fly them. Ultra Deans Connectors are great, but they can bite you in the arse if you aren't careful when plugging them together.

Wayne Mann

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've kissed the Deans connectors goodbye for everything except the gimbal. EC5's seem to be the way to go for everything else -- much higher current rating, no spring tab to bend back, larger contact surface area and no spark to impress/scare the DP with when you plug'em in.

What I don't like about EC5's is that:
    1. You cannot pop the connector out of the housing if you need to -- they're one-time use.
    2. The male housing has female connectors and the female housing has male connectors. Great source of confusion.
    3. When you melt the housing it really, really smells of hot wax. AMHIK. (Touched it with a soldering iron.) Lingers with you for hours and invites questions from one's significant other (what's that funny smell....).
    You're right, Wayne. As Yoda would say, arse-biting Deans are.

Andy.

17. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Thanks guys I will make sure and plugin battery to the cable before attaching to the red. Maybe even switch to ec5s in the future.

18. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

The EC5's are most certainly a pain in the ass to install but for now they seem to be the best high-current connector available for their weight. For lower current applications I really like the 15 to 45A Anderson PowerPoles. And for ultra low current applications the little JST connectors are really nice. Very lightweight and unlike the Deans or even the Deans micro plugs it's not possible to create a momentary short while attempting to connect them. Ditto with the PowerPoles. Great for vTX downlinks, BEC's, gimbal power, etc.

Connectors are pretty subjective. Everyone has their favorites. :D

nick

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick: Any concerns/issues that the Anderson Powerpoles are crimped rather than soldered? I've not had occasion to use them -- we typically use Molex connectors in the computer world (at least for power supplies and other heavier current applications).

I like the fact that they're genderless too.

Can you pop the connectors out of the housing once you've inserted them?

Thanks
    Andy.

20. Emanuele Chiocchio

As for the connectors, after replacing every Deans, we went for the xt-90s for the lifter: we find them to be very very good so far.