/dist/images/branding/favicon

Horizon issue with Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Michael Massar, May 14, 2013.

1. Michael Massar

Michael Massar New Member

Iam having an issue of the horizon going off when I turn using AL. If you fly level and make flat turns with just a touch of AL its very small, but if you flying in wind and you have use AL in the turn along with yaw it goes off level and then when you level out it slowly returns to level, just to be clear if using only yaw for flat turn its just a little off.
    How can I correct this or is this just part of it I hope not. It is a Cinestar 2 Axis gimbal on a Hexa other then this issue its works really well. One other thing I noticed is if you give left and right stick inputs it works correctly and stays level, but when moving in forward flight and AL turns not laying it over just enough to make a smooth turn this happen. What can do to help this issue.

Michael

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Does this happen with AL off? My immediate thought is that the copter was not perfectly still when the Radians were initialized. This can cause issues with the leveling.

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I think he is referring to AL as in Aileron control input. Mine does the same thing and im pretty sure its happening to a lot of people as well.

Josh

4. Michael Massar

Yes I meant Aileron input so its not just me having that issue than.

Michael64

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

ahh.. I though AL was auto level or something on an other than MK Flight control.

How long have you been getting this issue and what version Radian firmware are you running? Josh, same for you. Is this a recent thing or have you always had the issue?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Michael:

Just to further confirm, by AL you mean "using ailerons to roll the copter in a balanced turn?"
    If that's the case can you simulate this on the ground by grabbing the booms and hand "flying" the copter to simulate the condition?

As I recall you're using Radian sensors, right? If so can you connect up to the tilt and then the roll sensor and Read the settings and post images of the diagnostic and configuration windows, please?

Thanks
    Andy.

7. Michael Massar

Yes Iam using Radians on both axises and yes you can duplicate it on the ground like you said. Also it is the lastest firmware for the radians. This is setup as a single person operation with tilt on a rotary knob which took a little to get used to for sure slew mode is great for 2 person operation but leaves ALOT to desire for single person operation.

Michael

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

This one is a puzzle. All the Radians do is keep the roll axis level. Unless they are getting messed up with the minimal g-loads in a banked turn then the attitude of the copter shouldn't make any difference. Unless the roll has gotten to the limits of the roll axis and there is nothing left. More than 30 degrees or so might result in maxing out the roll.

Andy might be a question for JohnC.

9. Michael Massar

Its not even close to 30 degree bank. I think its a problem with the way the radians work or firmware/hardware. I have tried different settings but still the same.

Michael

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael can you send over screen shots of your Radian roll config and also a shot of the Radian and how you have it mounted?

11. Michael Massar

Its mounted on the Cinestar gimbal with the mount made for the Cinestar gimbal. I will try to get screen shot tomorrow possibility. One more thing there is not connection to a receiver on the roll radian just to the pitch radian and the gain is set at 132 everything esle is default.

Michael