/dist/images/branding/favicon

HL cinestar DJI Octo X Maiden flight - Crash...

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Newman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Hey Guys.
    I built a HL cinestar DJI octo X. I took it for a maiden flight tonight. Took off in GPS mode, flew great for about 1 minute, flipped it to attitude, flew great for about 20 seconds then I lost all power. Luckily I was not very high, lost a prop and landing gear leg.

I then took the heli inside, about 20 minutes later plugged in my usb to the computer and opened the DJI tools. I then plugged in the battery to power up the heli. I heard a pop and saw smoke fuming out of my #8 ESC. Anyone know what would cause this??
    If one esc goes out it is typical that everything else does too?

Setup
    Axi 4120/14 motors
    85amp Maytech Simonk Esc's
    power hungry distro board
    DJI wookong

Maybe I programmed the ESC's wrong? Is anyone famillar with the proper settings for these?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Ok, did some research. I guess I need to do a throttle calibration on the esc's. as well as the card calibration?
    I also read that if you set Lipo on the maytech card settings it makes the lv cutoff too high, supposed to chose nihm instead i guess. Maybe that was issue? Guess I will try re programming and then test very low to the ground. :)

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Sorry for the troubles, Chris.
    One thing I always do with a new setup is to tether it to the ground and run up the motors very high and watch the copter carefully whilst banking right, left, fore, aft and make sure it responds as it should. I've caught some egregious errors this way. Here is my copter, which I tried making into a coaxial config, tethered loosely to the ground for burn testing. Unfortunately this did not catch a serious problem, but oh well. :rolleyes:
    IMG_7447.jpg

4. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Good idea Steve! How high was the Heli off the ground in flight while it was tethered?

5. Steve Maller

I usually give it just enough slack so that I can bank and yaw it each way, but not enough so that it can flip. Maybe 4-6 inches or so. And use strong string or rope, not bungee cords. Don't ask me why I know that. :rolleyes:

And tether it to something really heavy, not just a couple of bricks. My Cinestar actually took off with 10 pounds of bricks once...didn't get that far (one foot or so), but scared the hell out of me! These things in the picture weigh about 10 pounds each.

6. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Ok,Thanks steve i will give that a try!

I did some more research on my SimonK esc's and I guess i'm supposed to do a throttle calibration on them and that's it. On a regular esc you need to use the card to program.
    So I'm going do try the throttle calibration and then test it tied down. Hopefully that helps!

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's obvious, Steve. You left off two motors. Duh. How come you didn't notice that? <very evil grin>
    Actually, that's a great way to test -- be careful, though -- at full throttle a Cinestar can lift 30 pounds! And if a tether breaks....hoooboyyy....

Andy.

8. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I read in http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ng-m-flips-and-crashes-on-takeoff.1172/page-2

Ben Hall said that if you set the throttle type in the wookong software to "immediatley" versus "intelligent" the the wookong will shut off power to the motors if you lower the throttle below 10%. And guess what mine was set at?? "immediatley" by default. So stupid DJI!!
    Anyway, I will repair my rig and try again with "intelligent" selected. Wish me luck.

Update: Just tried plugging in the battery I used on that flight and guess what it was totally dead. 18.5V should be at least 19V I believe. It wont even charge. So I guess that's most likley my issue, which is concerning since I fully charged it right before the flight.,,,

9. Steve Maller

When you crash a copter, batteries can be destroyed in a number of ways. I'd just dispose of it and replace it.

10. Maxis Gamez

Maxis Gamez Member

Chris, I have my octo set to intelligent as well and the motors shuts off after 3 seconds of no activity after the stick is at 0%. Sorry about the accident.