/dist/images/branding/favicon

Herkules III + MK FC 2.5ME + KDE 4014XF + 18" props

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Ozkan Erden, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Can you screenshot your tuning screen from MK tools? What settings food you load on your herkules board? What frame are you using?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Bo, I had a problem with my MK ship a while back that was caused by a little too much play in the actual mounts on the Flight control board. I had rubber mounts and long nylon standoffs. I shortened the standoffs a bit to reduce the amount of movement (hardly even visible) and the copter flies much smoother now. Care to post a photo of how your FC is mounted to the frame?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Both Josh and Steve are on the right track, Bo -- it sounds like the problem is that the PID controllers in the MK flight board are going into oscillation caused by having to correct for turbulence in the wind. You may have to set everything back to factory defaults on the MK controller and start again. There is a subtle interaction on those settings and once you get into oscillation it's often easier to reset and start over. You can assign the values to POTI, I believe -- thus being able to assign a rotary control to adjust a parameter in flight, but be careful -- change a setting too much and the copter will enter Plummet Mode. I've heard from many folks that this is a Really Bad Thing.

If you want to post your MK settings, save them to a file, open the resulting .mkp file (it's plain text), copy and paste the settings into posting on this thread. It's easier to do that to get all the settings in one go that taking numerous screen shots.

Andy

4. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi,

Steve, the Fc board is mounted on top of of the Herkules board not like the MK 3,0. I made a alu plate to make the mounting holes fit on to the freefly hub. Could that course the shaking? Yesterday I changed back to nylon standoffs from the rubber ones - I suspected that it could make some trouble - same result.... Could be I should have at closer look at the alu plate.
    Josh and Andy, today I went back to factory default in MK-Tools be-course I was out of options. No matter what setting I throw in I still have that crazy shaking.
    Here's some pix of my setup and my screen from my last flight. Wind was gusty and about 15 mph. Then I took my flat 8 out to compare the two birds and it handles the wind perfectly....:confused:

Attached Files:

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Can you swap Flight Controllers so that you can fly the Herk copter with the FC from the flat 8?
    It might be that the FC board has a bad sensor?

Andy.

6. Steve Maller

7. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Steve, Funny - I just went back home form a test flight with exactly your suggestion - unfortunately with same depressing result..
    I think I´ll try Andy's idea by swobbing FC's.
    Could it have something to do with the prop/motor combo...? Any idea's?

8. Josh Lambeth

I would definitely put the rubber mounts back on. I'll get my settings for you. Do you know the settings you used on your herkules board? I suspect that also could be off.

9. Josh Lambeth

Bo,
    I fly the exact same setup you do. Only difference is the frame and I am using 2x Quadro xl boards instead of the single October board. I fly in 25mph winds without issues.

10. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Josh, I loaded the 24° firmware to the Herc board. Would definitely be Great to see your settings..

11. Josh Lambeth

Hmm thats the same firmware I am using.

I'll get me MK settings for you in a few minutes.

Josh

12. Josh Lambeth

Ok,
    Here are screenshots of my settings and mixer.
    gyro.png

mixer.png

Josh

13. Josh Lambeth

One other quick question, do you have the Herkules mounted using the rubber dampeners?

Josh

14. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Thanks for sharing Josh :) I'm surprised that your Gyro-D is that high. My motors starts grumbling at 11.. otherwise we have the same settings.
    To answer your question - I had to make a alu plate between the freefly frame-hub and the herk board to get the right orientation. And yes - I put short rubber dampers between the frame and the alu plate and nylon standoffs between the alu plate and the herk board.
    The sun is shining and it's calm weather this morning - I have a good feeling that I'll crack it today..:cool:

15. Josh Lambeth

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure that all your settings in the gyro tab match mine. The Gyro Stability, Acc/Gyro Faktor and Comp all make a difference as well.

Also double check that your frame is 100% tight. With such powerful motors if there is any weak point/flex in the frame it will make any vibrations/oscillations worse. We ran into this issue on our CS8 Frame when we were using it before.

Josh

16. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

WOW!!! Now I understand the excitement of flying X8. It flies perfect - better than my flat 8... Super stable and smooth flying, even a fast descent it handles very well.
    I did what Andy suggested and swobbed FC's. I loaded Jush's settings and put the rubber standoffs as Steve said.
    So, now I don't know what is what. But I'll investigate the coming days and report back.
    This is truly the power of sharing knowledge. I have a job coming up next week and I was seriously thinking to call it off.

Thanks a lot guys - you saved my day :)

Dave King likes this.
  17. Steve Maller

Part of the power of this community is that folks come here to openly discuss their issues, and that they complete the feedback loop. So we're all grateful for your contribution, and if you can report on your results, it'd be great. Good luck!! :cool:

Dave King likes this.
  18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The final proof will be if you were to swap back to the original FC and the problems return. That would definitely show that the FC was "bad" (but i'm not quite sure what is bad about it). If it is bad, then it might be worth sending it back to MK to have them look at it -- I would hope that they have diagnostics that they can run but that we don't have access to, and they could isolate the failed sensor or whatever it happens to be.

Andy.

19. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Andy, That was exactly what you said - a bad FC :( I swapped back to the original FC and the problem was back. I even loaded the same firmware to be 100% sure that everything was the same. I'll send it back to Mikrokopter to see if they can sort out the problem.
    After some very convincing flights (with fantastic settings from Josh and rubber standoffs as Steve suggested) I stabbed the RED under the bird and it vent very well - super smooth flying and footage.
    I also got 2 minutes more flight time - than with the bad FC. I guess it uses a lot more power to compensate for all the crazy shakes.

Josh, what firmware do you run on your FC? I'm not taking any chances and spoil a good day by upgrading to the newest firmware. I´m keeping my 2,02a until the job is done...

20. Steve Maller

That's great news! And yes, firmware updates can be the tool of the devil unless you know for a fact (as if there is such a thing in software) that there's something broken in your version that a newer version fixes. Otherwise, it's usually the other way around.

Or stated in the classic way, "if it works, don't fix it."