/dist/images/branding/favicon

Help! Movi Pro pan drifting side to side

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Travis WIne, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Travis WIne

Travis WIne New Member

I bought the Movi Pro about 30 days ago. I watched all the videos and balanced the Movi Pro correctly. My pan, roll, and tilt in the balance menu are staying in the green. However, when I walk, I get this side to side pan drift with my Canon C200B mounted. Is this a menu setting in the app causing this? Any help here would be great to stop this drifting side to side when I walk. I don't have this problem with the Freefly M5 with my Canon 5D mark 4, so I'm pretty sure I shouldn’t have this problem on the Movi Pro. If I can't get this to work, I would love to send this back to Adorama, but the 30 day return policy just expired. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Travis: That side-to-side drift doesn't sound right....if I were you, I'd open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and ask for their help.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

This sounds like an issue with your settings. You could do some screen grabs in the app and post them here, for convenience.

What are your Smoothing and Window settings? And your hold-strengths?

This can sometimes happen if you have the settings out of whack, like a really high Smoothing setting. Try toning that down and see if your problem goes away. It could also be a low Pan hold or motor stiffness (or high filter?).

I advise you to try taking your settings to extremes and see what that does to the Gimbal's response. I often say I can make the Movi feel like a sports car or like an old Cadillac, depending on what I'm trying to do.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Graham's right -- I inferred that you had done an autotune holding the MoVI as you intend to use it, but if you've been tweaking settings post autotuning, follow what Mr. Futerfas done said! :) It might be the pan stiffness setting, but there are interactions with other settings too....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Graham Futerfas

My money's on the Smoothness in the Majestic Settings, or a really low Window. :)

6. Travis WIne

Travis WIne New Member

Thanks for the reply, Andy and Grahm! I'm going to set everything up and take a look again and screen grab some screenshot settings and post back.

7. Travis WIne

Travis WIne New Member

Here are the settings. Also is there a systematic order for the settings in the app when balancing?

Attached Files:

8. Graham Futerfas

Window at 0 is your main culprit, under Majestic Settings. That is probably the source of your problem.

My personal preference is a Window at 3 or 4, but I've seen people who like a higher value. Window corresponds to how far you have to pan or tilt before the Movi responds (in degrees), but if it's at 0, then the stabilizing feature is basically turned off. Higher windows ignore your inputs more --- good for running or fast movement where you want to filter out excess inputs from your panning. Lower windows are good for fine-tuned, precision moves.

Travis WIne likes this.
  9. Graham Futerfas

I'll have to reply about Auto-Tuning later, since I'm running out the door.

Travis WIne likes this.
  10. Travis WIne

Travis WIne New Member

Thanks Graham!

11. Graham Futerfas

You're welcome, always happy to be able to help, plus I get to learn from your problems. ;)

>Also is there a systematic order for the settings in the app when balancing?

What do you mean by this question? At first I thought you meant Auto-Tune, but maybe not? I always Balance the gimbal before turning it on and changing settings, but maybe you're asking something different?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Graham, I think by "systematic order" Travis is asking is there an optimal sequence in which to balance the axes? If so, then the answer is that I prefer to do tilt, roll, and pan, then rinse and repeat as required (because there are interactions).

I agree with Graham re: Window = 0 -- that's effectively turning off Majestic.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™