/dist/images/branding/favicon

Height hold gps assist

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by alex ryan, Oct 24, 2015.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Does anyone have any information about using the gps for height hold? I have not been receiving any of the SBs, so just wanted clarification about this issue and wether it has been fixed with this new update?

If it hasn't been fixed does anyone know when it might be fixed?

And just to clarify, it is fine to use position mode, as long as gps is inactive for height hold?

Cheers,

Alex

2. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

It was re enabled in the config after the update so I would say that would be a clear sign that it was fixed.

Although an SB did come through to just check if motion booting was defaulting to ON after the update. So turn that to OFF if you arent actually booting in motion!

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

All, I'm checking but I don't think the GPS issue was included in the firmware release.

Just a suggestion but anytime I have sent a copter back for service, regardless of where, I do a complete review of all settings to make sure that they are setup the way that I want them.

I'll post an update when I get an answer on the GPS question.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The SB email of Oct 10, 2015 said this (emphasis is mine):
    RECOMMENDATIONS
    Freefly recommends that all users set GPS height correction to “off” in the ALTA app pending a firmware update to address this
    issue. Further if an ALTA operator experiences an uncommanded climb or descent in height or position mode the operator can
    switch to ‘open loop’ where they will have direct control of the throttle.

However, the recently-released firmware update (Oct 20, 2015) does not make mention of a fix for this issue, so I'd assume that's still forthcoming to be safe. https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...p-and-Firmware-Release-Notes-Synapse-20151020

5. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Thanks guys. I guess I'll leave the gps height correction off until further notice. This might be a silly question, but what is 'open loop'?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Open loop means manual mode. From the manual page 112 (Rev C manual).

Radio Mode us
    RC pulse width 1000-2000us
    where values near:
    1000us = Open Loop
    1500us = Closed Loop - height hold
    2000us = Closed Loop - height

and position hold

7. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Thanks Gary.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Open Loop should really be called Manual Mode as Gary says. I'll make sure the folks at FF know this just in case they don't see this posting.

Andy.

9. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Finally got to take my ALTA out for a fly today for the first time since getting it back (bad weather and other work has prevented it all week). I found that in height mode there was a fair bit of drop in altitude when flying in any direction (up to about 2m). It wasn't doing this before sending it off for repair.

The only difference in my settings was having the GPS height correction switched off (it was on before I sent it off). It was probably also the windiest conditions I have flown it in thus far. Me thinks that these two factors are effecting the height hold. Thoughts?

10. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

one other thing I noticed was that I was on the ground waiting for a couple of dogs to go away. The ALTA was on, but unarmed. the dogs left and I armed the motors, but they wouldn't arm. It looks like if you leave the ALTA on without arming for a while they won't arm until you power cycle the ALTA.

11. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

That might be in the manual, but I forgot if it was.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't remember seeing that in the manual -- I just looked at every search result for "arm" and don't see anything like that.
    There is reference to the motors not arming if there is a Synapse boot failure (e.g. aircraft was moving during power up).

Hmmm. Might be worth a deliberate attempt to reproduce this problem.

Andy

13. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yeah I'll give it another go tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I dont think there was a boot error. The status light went through its normal process and the motor lights were all green.

14. georgemcnabb

georgemcnabb Member

Was RTH set to off position? And not new location as that will stop it from arming

15. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yeah RTH was definitely off. Didn't change anything, just power cycled the ALTA and then it armed. Pretty sure it was just that I had left it idle for several minutes without arming the motors.