/dist/images/branding/favicon

Heat Sink question?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Patrick Weeden, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Patrick Weeden

Hey guys

I just got some heatsinks from quadrocopter and am about to install them. Is it best to put them on top (the FETs where the motor cables come from) or better to go on the bottom (Capacitor side)?

The problem I'm having is that on the wire side, my cables (On alternating BLs) come back over the FETs and don't leave much room for the heat sink. Is it ok to put 4 on the top and the other 4 on the alternating bottom ones?

Thanks

Pat

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd suggesting putting them on both the top and the bottom. You may need to rework the soldering on the PDB if you really want the heat sinks to sit fully on the MOSFETs.
    Andy

3. Patrick Weeden

Hi Andy, thanks for that, I was thinking of re-soldering so will get to work. Also, I have seen a few setups where the capacitors are on the top side of the PDB, is this quite common?

Pat

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I would re-solder the wires so that the heatsinks fit. You would be a lot better off doing the fan mod for cooler temps.

5. Patrick Weeden

Hi Dave

What is the fan cooler mod? Haven't heard of it and how much will it affect flight times?

Thanks

Pat

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm. I've never seen that. But, as the sign in my office says, "There has been an alarming increase in the number of things about which I know absolutely nothing." ;)

Andy

Patrick Weeden and John Butkus like this.