/dist/images/branding/favicon

Heat Issues on Alta 6

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Mike Gentilini Jr., Sep 7, 2016.

1. Mike Gentilini Jr.

So since the latest firmware update, I'm noticing an error of overheating for the first time. Been flying Alta for almost a year and never had it overheat before.

Flying Alta 6 (2x 10K Tattus) with Red Scarlet-W, Rokinon lens, M10, Connex, payload 12.27 lbs.

Flew today at 80 degrees F with 70% humidity at 2,000' elevation (where I fly a lot), with no wind and after 6 minutes into the flight I was getting the overheating error. Motor temps ranged between 57 - 60 degrees C.

Did Freefly make the temp alarms lower in the latest firmware or is global warming a real thing?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Just going from memory, Mike (and I confess to not searching the forum :( ), I think FF did lower the threshold to a more conservative level. Maybe someone else with a better memory can cite to the source? Was it in the release notes for a firmware upgrade?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Thanks for the response Andy. Still that's really disappointing since Alta was engineered to lift Red, and now our flights are limited to 5-6 minutes before a cool down period when flying on 80+ F degree days.

I hope Freefly changes the threshold higher again in the next firmware.

-Mike

4. Dave Thomas

Dave Thomas New Member

Mike,

Yes, a new temperature limit of 70°C was put in place earlier this year. The temperature limit can be raised to 90°C by following the instructions detailed in Service Bulletin #10. (https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/...3-SB10-ESC-Firmware-Update-v1-0-1-2016-02-24-).

It sounds like your ALTA still has the original ESC firmware if you've been flying it for around 1 year now. Synapse firmware versions 3.5.1 and later detect which version of ESC firmware is installed and set the safe temperature limit to either 70C (for original ESC FW) or 90C (for updated ESC FW). In order to increase the temperature limit, you'll need to update the ESC firmware, which involves disassembly of the top chassis. Read through SB#10 linked above and get in contact with Freefly Customer Support before starting.

Note to others who read this thread: this topic is only applicable to ALTAs that were shipped before 11-Feb-2016. all ALTAs shipped after 11-Feb-2016 have the newer ESC firmware v1.0.1 installed at the factory, so no additional action is needed.

Mike Gentilini Jr. likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Dave! THAT'S where I had seen it. Duh....Sorry Mike. Brain fade!
    Andy.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Mike Gentilini Jr.

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Mike with the Alta 6 + Movi + Connex + Epic or Scarlet I switch from 2x 10K lipos to 2x 6k lipos, yes its considerably less mHa, but also is less AUW and that at SL at around 90º it gave me about 8 minutes flight time with about 20% left also consider the C rating 6000 mHa 35c is better than 7000 mHa 25c I have both also I did the firmware update

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  8. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Good to know Jose, thanks!