/dist/images/branding/favicon

HDMI video - a strange question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gary Haynes, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Went to fly for my D800 for the first time. Came up with a strange question for the group. My setup for the HDMI is that the power comes off the CS8/MK PDB board, through a recom to 5v and then to the HDMI board (small one like Tabb sells). Everything else, FPV cam, Iftron tx are powered by a 3S. After I was back in the house I was doing some tweaking and heard a strange clicking sound. I looked and it was coming from the BL boards. With the D800 powered up, D800 HDMI connected to the HDMI board, NO power to the ship (so no power to the HDMI board), the BL's were clicking randomly and the green LED's would flash on each board.

Unplugged the D800 and put my NEX7 on the HDMI connector and while I got a chirp wasn't prolonged like the D800.

Almost appears that the HDMI, which does carry power, was pushing the power back into the ship.

Anyone else seen this?

I am going to move the power to the HDMI from the 3S so I can solve the problem but just weird experience.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That is strange, Gary. If you what you say is true, the power from the 3S is feeding back through a Recom on to the PDB? I didn't know Recom's could do that?

Do you have a voltmeter that you could put across the output from the Recom to see if there's voltage from the HDMI converter there? If so, work back upstream and see whether there's voltage on the inputs to the Recom too.

Andy

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy, good idea to check but rather than doing a bunch of trouble shooting I just built a y-adapter for the battery to power all of the video gear. Quick easy fix. I agree with the premise that you would thing voltage wouldn't flow backwards through a recom but sure seems like that is what it was doing.