/dist/images/branding/favicon

HDMI Thunderbolt notes... and what is best?

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Steven Flynn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

Hi all.

I'm new here. Recently purchased a cinestar 8. I bought a Teradek Thunderbolt downlink and am just starting to test it. Just FYI, it's a bit finicky. Maybe you all knew that. Not sure but it seems like maybe the Graupner Mx-12 might be causing some downlink interference when close to the receiver. Image looks great when it's there. I'm wondering what you all would recommend for a main camera downlink for the client? Gotta be reliable... and so far the Bolt is not cutting it, but I'll know more in a few days. Thanks for any input/advice. Steve

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Steven:
    What you're finding seems pretty consistent with my experience -- if you have a transmitter blasting out a few inches away from a receiver, even though they're on different frequencies, it's not unusual -- for that short a distance that's there's some crosstalk going on. Radio transmitters follow the inverse-square law in terms of the amount of power they radiate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law) which means when they're really close, they're really powerful!

How far do you have the Teradek from the MX-12, please?

Andy.

3. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

I've been filming with the cube now and for me it's just not viable. I tried moving the receiver away from the cameraman's control transmitter and that seemed fine, but what I find most troublesome is that when the bolt looses it's link the transmitter somehow manages to stop the record on the 5d. I've got the 5d to restart the record but it looses a few seconds, and then you can't see what's going on. Great if you don't have a client around wanting the shot to continue. So if anyone has a suggestion as to what kind of SD link works best I'd really love the input.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Freefly did some testing with the Nebtek Microlite with reasonable range but some latency at longer ranges. Sounded like it would be good for general framing and letting others see the action. And the cost is north of $20K.