/dist/images/branding/favicon

Has anyone tried the Xoar Electric Beechwood 14X5 Propellers

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Dave King, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I just ordered them from Quadrocopter but they are backordered. Until I have a chance to compare I'd like to know if anyone's had a chance to do a comparison against the APC slowfly's that come with the Quadrocopter kits? I have heard you get a couple extra minutes of battery time and reduced BL temps. Just curious if anyone's done a comparison?

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

hey Dave I recently changed mine over yes I would have to say little bit longer flying times smoother flights and bl temps seem to be about the same maybe a little less. Just have to be careful with the Xoars. The apc can take a beating and still be fine! ;)

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Also you will want to make sure your props are balanced. They don't absorb the vibrations like the APC's do and it will translate to your frame.

Josh

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Prop balancing on wood is a bit different. Don't do any sanding per my discussions with Xoar. Either add a bit of varnish to the back of the light blade or I simply used celophane tape which worked well. For the hub I used black electrical tape if it didn't take to much or if something heavier was needed i used lead tape, same stuff used on golf club or tennis rackets.

5. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I agree with Gary on all fronts about the balancing. DO NOT remove any material from the props!!!

josh

6. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

I use aluminum tape to balance all my props and rotor blades. Because of its high relative weight a small piece goes a long way and it also burnishes down well and can become 'one' with the prop when done properly. The Xoar's are well crafted but they can be out of balance from the package like any prop. Trust your balancer! ;)

nick

7. Dave King

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Andy for the horizontal balance I found small pieces of celophane tape , maybe 1/2 wide by the same length, got the horizontal balance down very precisely. For the hub, depending on amount of weight needed, the aluminium tape might work well. I liked the lead tape, smaller and more dense. I balanced the hub first with black electrical tape, pulled it off and weighed it, and then cut a final piece of lead tape to the same weight. There isn't much space on the side of the hub, so length of the tape is limited. That's why I used the lead tape.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Gary. That clarifies it a lot. I've seen CA being used on Xoar's -- as well as small Velcro "fuzzy" side on to which CA is dropped.

Where exactly do you put the Cellophane/Scotch tape? Near the blade tip on the lower (when it's on the copter) surface? That's where I'd be tempted to put it to maximize the balancing effect and minimize any drag that it might cause.

Andy.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Tape on the bottom side near the tip. Usually doesn't take very much. I've seen the CA/Velcro on plastic props but can't say that I have seen it used on wood props, Xoar or any others. I would worry about the CA penetrating the wood and causing unknown damage. Xoar also didn't approve that method. For the hub they really didn't have an answer.

I did see a video for the large scale RC Airplane guys where they were actually drilling a hole in the hub and loading it with lead then plugging it.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for confirming that. I suspect I'll also need to get some lengths of pipe insulation from Ace cut into "prop protectors" while transporting the C8.

Andy.

13. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Its funny they didn't have an answer for the hub... its almost always the part unbalanced on Xoar.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I believe they were humming the song 'Don't worry, be happy' when they wrote the reply.

Brad McGiveron likes this.
  15. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Andy, I apply the tape to the bottom of the blade and vary the position relative to the leading edge to help balance the hub at the same time. If the hub is in balance I place it directly in the middle. For the hubs I cut small pieces about 6x15mm and then stack them as needed. Sometimes the stacks get pretty high. It looks horrible but it is what it is to get the prop balanced. The lead tape gary mentions would probably be superior since it would take a lot less material. I'll have to pick some up and try it. The aluminum tape is just so easy to work with, conforms to any shape and won't poison you. :D

nick

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Nick. I presume from what you say, you're not particular about the type of aluminum tape? (See my Amazon link) -- just in case anyone else needs to order some up! :)

Andy.

17. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, missed that...

The tape in your Amazon link looks perfect. I buy mine locally at an Ace hardware store and I've also seen it at big home improvement stores in the HVAC section.

On a different note, has anyone got their hands on the black Xoar's? They might look pretty nice on our machines.

18. Dave King

The 10 that I bought seem to be dead on for balance. I would imagine that the balance would change in high humidity?

19. Dave King

Hey guys

Can you answer a question for a newbee. How do you check the balance on the hub? I got the same topflight balancer that Andy uses in his video's and I know how to balance the blades but there was nothing in the video about balancing the hub in the video that I remember seeing. Has anyone seen the balancing change on the props after they are balanced? I would imagine high humid conditions could change the balance quite a bit?

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave not sure if I understand the question. When you use the balancer can you put the prop at any position and it stays balanced? Also you may get much better results with the Dubro Prop Balancer. I have both and the Top Flight is gathering dust on the shelf. With any balancer the shaft should be level. Never could get that done consistently with the To Flight.