/dist/images/branding/favicon

Hard Wire or Soft Wire?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Lambeth, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Ok this may be a dumb question but other than the soft wire being easier to bend is there any real different/advantage to using the soft wire rather then the hard wire? Just curious.

Josh

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Josh:
    Could you give me some context please? I'm not quite sure what you're asking and for what you're using the wire?

Andy.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Josh:
    It just occurred to me that you might be asking about the difference between solid and stranded wire.

Solid wire tends to be less easy to bend and tends to fatigue and therefore break if there's a lot of vibration. Stranded wire is typically more flexible. Stranded wire of the same diameter as solid wire has a higher resistance because the total cross section is lower -- there are gaps between the strands. If the strands are insulated, though, there is a higher surface area in stranded wire that allows a lower resistance to high frequency signals as most of the current flows along the outer surface of the strands. This doesn't apply if the strands are un-insulated as they're all shorted together.

Does that answer your question? And I need a gold star for remembering this -- I've not had to think about this since I studied Physics back in the Dim Times! When I started with computers we didn't have zeros and ones....we only had zeros and we had to wait for someone to invent ones. :D

Andy.

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

It is the main power wire. I have some 10g hard wire (doesn't freely bend like the wires on the batteries do) and am wondering if that's ok to use or if I should get the softer easier to bend wire.

Josh

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I would get 10 gauge stranded silicone insulated wire -- the silicone means that the insulation will not melt as easily and the insulation itself is flexible.
    You can find some of it at amazon.com, search for "10 gauge silicon wire."
    Watch out -- vendors often say "60 inches" but this is actually 30 inches of red, and 30 inches of black.
    Spendy stuff as 30" of red and black will set you back $22 or so.
    Let me know if you find a cheaper source for 10 and 12 gauge.

Andy.