/dist/images/branding/favicon

Had a crash, had to swap flight controllers, now having RX issues, Help!!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Nathan Reim, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

OK guys, I had my CS 8 go down hard and destroy a power distro board and a FC, I swapped the FC and the distroboard and now I am trying to start testing. When I hook the groupner RX to the FC and power the copter up all is well for a few seconds and then the buzzer starts going off, it sounds like a loss of signal beep, and the MK tool says no RX connection. I am using the same RX from the original build that was in the crash. I have made sure the antennas are connected as well. The green light comes on so it is getting power. Not to sure how to rebind a grouper but I'm sure its not hard. Anyone have any suggestions? Whats weird is that it seems as if the telemetry is working fine, when I flick the switch on the TX it talks to me as usual, so im at a loss.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If the green light on the receiver is on, I think the binding is good. Have you hooked up MK Tool? If it says there’s no connection to the RX, then the problem is in your connection between the FC and RX. Is it possible that your servo cable was damaged? Or that one of the pins in the receiver was damaged? Or that it’s plugged into the wrong port on the receiver?

3. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

in the crash the RX did come apart the force was strong enough to pop the top of the rx off the bottom that was taped to the frame. So It was open when I found it and I went through and checked all of the headers and all that and did not see anything. MK tool is taking its got no RX connection, but it clearly has some kind of connection because it sends and rec telemetry,

4. Steve Maller

There are two connections to the RX: the top one (the telemetry, only 1 signal wire) and the bottom one (the input signal, power, and ground). If the RX is on then presumably the problem is with the bottom signal wire, otherwise it wouldn’t power up.

5. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

When I got the new FC it had all the telemetry and RX cables soldered to it already so I didnt use the same cables from the crash, I suppose the bottom board is messed up.

6. Steve Maller

Do you have another receiver? I would bet that is the issue. Especially as you noted above "in the crash the RX did come apart the force was strong enough to pop the top of the rx off the bottom”. :(

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Nathan, sounds like a new receiver would be a prudent choice ....

8. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Hey guys, I got a new RX for this CS8, and I am still having the same issues, everything that electronic that was in the crash has been replaced, FC, PWR DISTRO, NAVI. I took some pictures of the TX and the Bind section of the TX. You can see in the picture that the RX has a solid green light.

Attached Files:

9. Steve Maller

Did you set the tx for sumo?

Gary McCready likes this.
  10. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

No clue what that is.

11. Steve Maller

You should buy Andy’s video on building a Cinestar. He walks you through how to do this, and if you don’t do it, I don’t think you can fly.

You can get it for instant download. It’s well worth having. I refer to mine all the time, including just this week when I had to get the transmitter working again (bought a second one).

http://rathergoodguides.com/dvds/building-a-cinestar-6-or-8.html

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve: Thanks! The plain brown envelope will be in the mail as usual... ;)

Andy.

14. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I do have Andy's "a rather good intro to kopter tool" is it in there possibly?

15. Steve Maller

I don’t think so. It’s definitely in the build guide.

16. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Guys I have tried to set the SUMO thing but I really dont think this is the issue. I am using the same settings in the TX from the original FC stack and I would assume the settings being set up already, the sumo would be set up? no?

17. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

When I got to settings and data view it says it cant receive data, So I am led to believe its not bound correctly, but I feel like I have done that correctly, but I have never bound a grouopner tx and rx until this one so I don't know for sure

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

With the receiver and transmitter powered on, do you see a green LED on the receiver? If so, then the receiver is correctly bound.

If not, what procedure are you following to bind the receiver to the transmitter?

The "cannot receive data" means that the Transmitter is not getting any telemetry back from the receiver, so I don't think the FC is not involved in that.

Andy.

19. Errol Vaes

Errol Vaes New Member

Hi Nathan, did you found the problem. I have the same issue. Thanks Errol

20. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

In case of swapping FC, I would check:

* Reciever type in KopterTool should be HoTT (in your case)
    * Firmware should match the Navi Ctrl firmware
    * CH Out Type should be set to SUMO 12/8 on the transmitter
    * Channel assignments, fail safe and mixer settings should be double checked