/dist/images/branding/favicon

Graupner MX 20/GR24 update issue

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dave King, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I can't get the GR24 receiver to update the firmware settings. I watched the quadrocopter video where they said to hit download start, remove power to the receiver, plug the receiver power back in while holding the set button at the same time but I continue to get the target device ID not found error. I even updated the USB drivers that the video suggested. This part helped me get the transmitter to take the receiver commands but not the receiver. I was able to upgrade the transmitter perfect but I'm stuck with the receiver. I tried this for 30 minutes and even had my wife help me time everything after the download button was hit. One thing I did notice is that graupner has updated the firmware updater since the video was made because the video has 5 button progress steps while my updated firmware updater has 7 steps.

EDIT: A couple things I forgot to mention: I do not have an external battery so I just plugged the receiver in through the copter using the plug at the bottom. I have a Window 32bit XP computer and it should work the only thing I can think of is that I am not using an external battery. Thoughts?

EDIT: I used the external battery from the transmitter and plugged it into the receiver and it worked on the first try :)
    :)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave: Does this thread help? Specifically Ziggy's reply #9 onwards.

Andy.

3. Dave King

Well I am not out of the woods just yet. When I power up the transmitter I get the message fail safe setup t.b.d and it no longer prompts me to turn the RF on or off. After I bind the receiver I see that it will not allow me to turn on the RF transmit, it says off and won't let me turn it on. When I hook up the copter the buzzer beeps like there is no communication to the transmitter.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. Well, don't worry about the transmitter fail-safe -- that's more of a "freeze in your tracks" kind of failsafe that won't bring the copter home. The MK failsafe is the thing to set up -- that will bring the copter home.

Can you re-bind the transmitter to the receiver?

Andy.

5. Dave King

Well funny that you ask that because now under stick mode it doesn't say RF bind anymore it says Module HOTT n/a n/a so I pressed and held the receiver set button for 3 seconds made sure it went green, then hit the set button and it says finding and then it says bind. The receiver is now green but I still see no indications that I'm getting RF output of the transmitter. The flight control board also shows a red light. I've powered the copter on and off several times as well as the MX20 to no luck

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What version of the software/firmware are you running on the FC board? Does that need to be upgraded too, I wonder?

Andy.

7. Dave King

SW: 0.88N V4

I can turn on RF now but the TX and RX are definetly not talking.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I seem to recall that you have to have the RF off in order to the bind. Seems counterintuitive, but I don't write this stuff....honest... :)

Andy.

9. Dave King

Yeap, I double checked it. It was off when I binded, and then I rebinded them for good measure. I think they are binded because the green light on the receiver is on and goes red when I power off the transmitter. I'm starting to think that one of my transmission lines on the transmitter (the one on the bottom that says 8) or the one up top that says T might have broken when I pulled off the connectors. I left my meter at work. Anything else anyone can think of?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The T wire being broken would only affect the telemetry, and you wouldn't get the red LED on the receiver if you didn't have the ground and +5v to the receiver, so yeah...if you think that the signal wire going to the SUMO output on the receiver is broken, that would explain a lot of Bad Things.

But why would a broken wire on the receiver cause the MX-20 to show that it's not radiating RF? That's the part I don't get.

Andy.

11. Dave King

UPDATE:

I checked continuity for the TX/RX wiring and everything was good. Now the good news!! I found part of the problem (the bigger part at least but I still have a smaller issue) I reset the receiver, rebinded it and now it works if the RF is on. However the RF still needs to be set every time I power it on. I have to go into the setup and physically turn RF ON. I don't get the option on startup anymore if I want the RF on or off.

The radio used to automatically turn RF on provided I didnt' select "NO" on initial bootup. Now every time when I power down/back up I have to go into the menu setting and change it from off/on

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Try these two videos from Graupner.

For power I have a little 4 cell AA pack from RadioShack connected to a servo plug.

You didn't mention which software version from Graupneryou are trying but the latest should work. Only other thing you might check is that you are selecting the correct bin file for each of your devices.

13. Dave King

Thanks for the reply Gary. I got it working by resetting the receiver. However my MX20 won't turn on RF automatically on boot up. I can't figure out why.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave here's the sequence on mine with a recv that is bound when I test with a recv and my temporary power supply.
    1. Power up the recv
    2. Turn on the MX-20
    3. Within a couple of seconds the flashing red light on the recv switches to solid green.
    4. Screen on MX-20 is in the Please select RF on/off. even while step 3 happens.
    5. After about 6-7 seconds the Please select screen goes away with no user intervention and the tx/recv are working.

If that isn't happening on your system something is probably broken. I am running version 1.126 on the MX-20.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I see the same as Gary.

Andy.

16. Dave King

Thanks guys. I do not see the attenna symbol or signal strength on the screen and I don't see the "please select RF on/off" message on startup.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Whoa. That's not good at all. (Doesn't that make you feel that much better, Dave?)

So which screen do you have to go to turn on the RF?

Andy.

18. Dave King

I called quadrocopter today and they didn't know. They told me to call Graupner USA and they said it sounds like a corrurpted file. They need to get in touch with their international company but said I won't get a reply back till Monday.

To get RF to turn on I have to go into the base setup model menu, and turn RF transmit to ON.

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

It may be quicker for you to call Graupner service direct. Less time consuming and direct conversation with no middle man.

20. Dave King

Graupner is in Germany so I have to deal with the middle man unfortunately.