/dist/images/branding/favicon

Graupner MC-32 joystick replacement

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Julian Dale, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Julian Dale

Julian Dale New Member

Hi all,
    I have a MC-32 with joystick gimbals that need replacing. Wondered if anyone has stripped one of these down and can offer any hints? (before I start randomly removing screws) Haven't had much luck trawling the internet for videos or diagrams.

Thanks
    JD

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I had a look at my MC-32 with the intent to install rotary controls on the top of each stick (as Holger Buss has), however, it wasn't at all obvious how to disassemble the joystick gimbals. If you find out, please let me know.

Andy.

3. Julian Dale

Julian Dale New Member

Will do. The replacement sticks have three position switches so I will have to look at the wire routing etc also. I have emailed the Graupner US importer for details. I will post the pictures and info when I'm done.

Thanks
    JD

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The consistent answer from Graupner over the years is that you will need to mail it back to Germany. No service manuals seem to exist, and the addition of the new sticks with the three position switch means that they somehow drill out the center mount of the gimbal to allow the wires to go through. And then need to reattach the mini molex so that you can plug it in. I seem to remember a charge in the $100eur range just to put one of the rotary sticks in from a couple of years ago. And couldn't even get a 'real' hard quote unless you sent it in.

The old distributor in Florida actually did some service here in the US. Not sure if the distributor has a service capability but even the previous one wouldn't do the sticks.

5. Julian Dale

Julian Dale New Member

Hi Gary,
    I emailed Graupner in Germany directly. I got a call back the following day from Matt at Openhobby in San Diego (the US distributor) He supplied the two joystick modules with switches fitted. He said it was fairly straight forward to replace them, but was going to try and dig out some pictures or details on how to replace them. Sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath though and just dive in...From initial investigation the hardest part will be separating the alloy tray from the plastic surround.

Matt ThompsonService & Support
    Openhobby
    Phone: 1 855-5-RCisHoTT (855.572.4746) Option 2
    IMG_4578.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Well that's a bit of progress. Andy and I wanted replace just the stick with one with a the rotary controls. Out of curiosity what was the cost of the full gimbal module?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Gary: Those parts do exist (as if the labels didn't prove it) -- but I'm not sure if the sticks are also available with the rotary controls. I'll try and call Matt Thompson.

Andy.

8. Julian Dale

Julian Dale New Member

Ok. Managed to get the sticks replaced last night.
    Here is a quick instruction sheet I did. Hope it helps you guys..

MC-32 Joystick module replacement

It seems the joystick modules are installed in the chassis early on in the manufacture and the components and PCB’s are fitted around them. I found this technique worked without having to remove a lot of the PCBs. Not for the faint hearted and allow 2-3 hrs to complete.

1. Remove 3 slider knobs between joysticks
    2. Remove back cover
    3. Remove battery
    4. Remove 2 x large screws on either side of bottom back panel (near where the neck strap arms come out)
    5. Remove screws holding trim modules in. There is one screw on each.[​IMG]
    6. Remove switch distribution board screws[​IMG]
    7. Remove 2 x LCD mounting screws and 2 x silver screws holding the plastic retaining bar (Remember the big red capacitor leg is under one of the bolts)[​IMG]
    8. Remove two top screws holding the radio module (between header pins)[​IMG]
    9. Pop the 4 catches along the top edge of the face plate where the top switches are mounted
    10. Carefully lift the top plate up. (there are still mounting screws holding the other PCBs in place so it wont lift right off
    11. Turn the transmitter over and ease the shiny joystick trim plates out
    12. You can now access the 4 mounting bolts holding the joystick in place[​IMG]
    13. Gently turn the transmitter back on to its face and carefully rotate the joystick so the PCB on the side clears the chassis and remove
    14. Use a very small screwdriver down the side of the molex connector to unclip the lead and release it. Carefully remover the old lead and make note where to feed the replacement unit lead through to follow the same route[​IMG]
    15. Suggest screwing the mounting screws into the new joystick modules and back out again, The screw cuts a thread in the plastic but it takes a little force and hard to do with the limited access with the front panel still partially attached. It is easy to strip the screw head otherwise.
    16. Install the new joystick (suggest removing and fitting one at a time)[​IMG]
    17. Re-route cables and attach switch cables. TGSxx connectors on the distribution board for a toggle switch and TRVxx for a rotary switch?
    18. Install glossy trim covers
    19. Snap the top cover back on along the top edge (be careful as these feel weak and the plastic is thin around the top LCD surround)
    20. Ensure the joystick trims are in place and install the two large bottom screws near the neck strap arms
    21. Install the trim modules. Hold the trim wheel in place as you tighten the screw so it doesn’t rub on the plastic trim when turned.
    22. Install the LCD module
    23. Install screws on radio module and check antenna connection to board
    24. Install switch distribution board
    25. Run joystick switch wires and bundle with other switch cables so there is adequate cable to allow full movement of the joystick without puling on the cable or chaffing
    26. Check for any missing screws
    27. Install battery
    28. Calibrate stick limits and centre (secret Menu)
    29. Range test and test function
    Tools
    Jewellers/small screwdriver set

Tweezers

Good luck

Attached Files:

Andy Johnson-Laird likes this.
  9. Julian Dale

Julian Dale New Member

Morning,
    We paid around $60 each + freight. Graupner list a number of joystick modules on there website so Im assuming some are with a rotary switch.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Thanks, as you say not for the faint of heart and maybe not while it is under warranty...

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice work, Julian. And thanks for posting.
    I think our MC-32's (like us!) are out of warranty now, Gary. :)
    I'll call Matt this morning, Gary. I'll let you know what I find out.

Andy.