/dist/images/branding/favicon

GPS Tools and microSD card setup

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Guys

I just got a 2 gig microSD card for my nagivation board. I formatted it to FAT16. I powered up the copter, waited till I got a GPS fix and then just turned on the copters motors and shut them off just to do a quick test. Upon looking at the file I have the following structure of files on the card now
    LOG folder and a settings file. Under the log folder I have a folder called 20130112 followed by a folder called KML and then a GPS0000.KML file in that folder. However I do not have any GPX files. Am I doing something wrong? I want to go out and fly to today but not without the GPS card working.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I suggest hovering for a bit (maybe 30 seconds) and repeating this. If you've got a KML file and no GPX file, then the copter may not have had enough time to start recording. But this could also be a symptom of something else. Do you see anything out of whack in the KML file? You should have a series of lat/lon pairs in there. Grab one of them (strip off the trailing altitude number), reverse the order and paste it into Google Earth or Google Maps and see if it locates the spot where you were. In my case, I saw this in one of my KML files:
    -122.3585817,+37.5903525,6.868
    So if I paste +37.5903525, -122.3585817 into Google Maps, I get this (which, I must say, is chillingly accurate!):
    Safari-snap001.jpg

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave if I remember correctly you need to get airborne before it starts recording. Also there is a couple of second lag. Something in the software looks for some indication from the boards. There will be two folders in the date file folder. The KML one you see and a GPX folder. KML files in KML as you saw and the GPX in the GPX folder. Try it again, lift off a few inches for about 5 seconds and check for them again.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

According to the source code in file logging.c, the logging file is created when (a) you have a GPS fix and (b) the throttle value exceeds 40 (it thinks you're flying).

Obviously, actually being flying is one way to achieve this, but, if you take the props off, you can simulate the effect for testing -- just don't expect things like the altitude to change much! :)

Andy.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I was able to go flying and it worked. I got GPX data. I will post video and results tonight.

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Progress!