Got some problem to install the Radian2axis

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Julien, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Julien

Julien New Member

Hello,

Here is a video explain the problem I have for installing the Radian 2axis...
    I need some help from someone who knows the system

Thank you

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Julien,

1. Flip the Tilt module 180 so that it is mounted in the same way that it would be on a cinestar gimbal, with the wires going to the back of the tilt.

2. I dont recommend that you have roll control for the camera operator, but if you do want it you need to have the lead going into the roll Radian from your receiver plugged into port 1 on the Roll Radian module.

Best,

Tabb

3. Julien

Julien New Member

I am not sure to understand well, but you can check on this video:

Right, I no need to control the roll, so to find to perfect horizon I need to move the radian module or I can change it in the software?

4. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 2.08.46 PM.jpg Sorry Julien, I was not clear enough. You need to copy the installation orientation that the CineStar gimbal uses. See attached photo:

For the roll axis all you need to do is mount the Radian, and then adjust the angle trim until horizon is perfect....then you never have to touch roll axis again ;)

5. Julien

Julien New Member

It's getting better...it sill have not perfect things, let's on the video :

6. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Julian,

Did you update the Firmware to the 1.02? This looks like the problem the early firmware had with some PWM receivers.

Thanks!

7. Julien

Julien New Member

Thank tabb for your help...
    It's getting better, as you said I didn't update the firmware, now it's ok.
    For the horizon of roll, I didn't get it: please check it here :

It seems in the software I can't change the mode as in the tutorial video, maybe it's my computer problem?

8. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Julien, you have 2 options:

1. Adjust the actual mounting angle of the Roll Radian so that roll axis is level. You must have it mounted a bit crooked in your video.

2. Adjust the roll axis using the "angle trim" option in the software.

Tabb

9. Julien

Julien New Member

Hello,

Almost perfect, still have to correct the set up of the roll, please check it here :

On roll the Slew is off, so for to find the perfect horizon I adjust the gain?

10. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Julien, 2 paramaters to adjust.

1. turn the system on, then turn your camera on and look at the live view display. Adjust the angle trim until the picture from the camera is 'perfectly level' it might be helpful to do this outside where you can see the horizon line.

2. Yes you will need to adjust the gain to the optimal setting by testing. See this video:

11. Julien

Julien New Member

Everything is ok with the small camera, but with a heavy camera i got problem only the tilt as here:

12. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Julien, I think the problem with the big camera is caused by the flexible camera tray. Any flex between where the radian is mounted and the servo mechanism can create problems.

As a quick test try mounting the Radian on the side that has the servo / pulley and see if it improves. Please note the Radian will need to be mounted in the same orientation as you have it now but on the opposite side (which means mounting on the non-flat side of the case) which should be fine for a a quick test.

Best,

Tabb

13. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Julien,

Tabb got it right on the spot. Mount it on the other side (pulley side), above the screw. But remember the connector on the side of the Radian (Spektrum) MUST be pointed to the ground as it is on your video.

Is that a Canon T3i in a AV200? If yes, I had the exact same setup done some days ago.

Things I noticed.
    1 - The AV200, at least mine, came with an aluminum base to double the camera plate and by doing this, makes it stiffer or harder. I didn't see that on your video.
    2 - The camera Center of Gravity seem too low. If possible try this: Remove the belt from the Tilt. Without the belt the camera should stay in the same position as you left it, if it fall to the front or back you should reposition it. Once balanced it MUST NOT return to horizontal. If it's returning to level try elevating the hole camera plate 1 hole. You should unscrew 3 screws only to do that.
    3 - With the AV200 I noticed that when you adjust the Radian for a heavy camera it doesn't work for a light one. The opposite should be true also. This is probably because of the inertia of the system, the Servo will have a different response time with different weights. So you will probably have to make another Radian gain setup for the DSLR.

BTW. This was my 1st experiment with this setup (Radian on tilt only, AV200, CS6), actually this was the first flight, so there are some shakes.

And remember balance is everything ;)
    Good luck.