/dist/images/branding/favicon

GoPro Wi Fi Alert

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jim Swanson, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Last month I crashed my Cinestar 6 while flying the new GoPro 3 Black edition. Minutes earlier we were flying my GH2 with no problems Anyway, I turned on the GoPro wifi to check out the shot on my Android Phone...within a minute or so we lost total control, hit a tree, and my Hexa fell 50 feet to the ground. The MK microsd card popped out and was lost, but having flown rc for 20 years this looked like a classic "frequency hit".

Quadrocopter checked out everything and could not find a problem with PDB, Navi, Flight board, etc.

Turns out Gopro 3 Black Edition uses 2.4 for their wifi according to someone in the Gopro customer service department... 2.4 a/b/c/g to be exact.

I'm no frequency expert, and I realize a lot of us fly on 2.4 at the same time, but this was clearly a radio hit while using the Hero 3. The Hexa jiggled a bit, lost control, then shot strait up like it was going into "coming home"-lost transmission mode. Random for sure...but be aware when flying your $10,000+ Multi-rotor.

Jim

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Hmm. thanks for the post looks like I will be keeping the wireless off when I go flying.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I saw something similar back when i had my MK stack in the original single stack position in the center of the CS. This was prior to the moving of Navi/GPS to the booms. Had a GoPro mounted on the front edge of the battery tray. My tray at the time ran from front to back, just an anomaly of my build. Very strange behavior and that was without any wifi. GP was throwing off enough EMI to cause issues, not loss of control, but after landing, turning it off, no further problems. Anything that is electronic is emitting signals so if you add something like a GP or even a camera do some close in test flights to determine the overall effect of the change.

4. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Some more food for thought.
    So if you were flying on a Spektrum 2.4 transmitter and had to pick a video down-link frequency, would you choose 5.8, 1.3, 900, or 2.4? The answer comes from many websites. This one is from flitetest.
    http://flitetest.com/articles/FPV_frequencies_for_dummies

o 2.4 GHz (2400 MHz)
    + Used for long range fpv flights
    + Best technology
    + Much antenna's to choose from
    - Wont penetrate walls and trees as good as 900 Mhz and 1.2 GHz
    - Frequency is crowded.
    - Can't be used with 2.4 GHz RC transmitters

5. Peter Gøthche

Yes the dji phantom have the same problem when using the gopro wifi.