/dist/images/branding/favicon

GO pro users need input

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dave King, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I am not ready to put my 2 axis gimble on my C8 just yet so I'm mounting a Go Pro 3 under boom 1. I would like to hook up the camera to the FPV system. I want to use the enclosed housing that comes with the Go Pro because I can angle the camera. But I would have to drill out a hole in the enclosed housing for the cable to access the camera. Is this what others are doing? I would have to do this anyway if I wanted to mount the Gro Pro to the camera gimble since the camera itself doesn't have a tripod mounting thread.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

GoPro definitely make a tripod mount. I have one (2, actually). They work well.
    http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/?gclid=COz9j5-W_LQCFQhyQgodM28A-w

WRT getting video out, you have two options: HDMI and composite. Obviously composite is easier, but both require mods to the case. I'm not sure why they haven't made a "skeleton" case for the Hero3. They have one for the Hero2: http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hd-skeleton-housing. I'd suggest using a Hero2 for FPV if you have one.

You can also just use velcro straps to hold the camera in place. That's what I do. No case at all. The GoPro is so light you don't need a lot of force to keep it from flying away.

3. Dave King

Thanks Steve but the tripod mount still needs to bolt to the case correct? Then you still have to worry about getting a cable inside the case? I like the skeleton case for the Pro 2. I was just hoping to avoid spending another $230.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Dave King

Thanks Gary!!