/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal jerks unexpectedly.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Huddleston, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Ben Huddleston

Has anyone seen that? While in 2-op mode yesterday, there were a couple of points when the M10 jerked mid-shot, as if someone bumped the gimbal when no one had. So those shots were ruined.

I'm guessing it's a range issue with the Spektrum transmitter? I was about 100ft from the dolly grip walking it, but I thought the Tx was supposed to be good for super long range.

2. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I doubt it's the TX. I would have crashed many airplanes if that were the case. Perhaps your operator did bump it? I've seen this as well and each time chalked it up to a bump.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben lots of variables on total range. Line of sight, receiver being shielded by the carrier, other EMI interference, multipathing where the signals are bouncing around and the list goes on. On a CS8 I have ground tested, direct line of sight, no power lines or other visible interference out to 1500m. I just wanted to see what I could get with the copter sitting on my back deck to a point across the farm field valley behind me. I'd never want to fly it at that range.

When that happens it would be interesting if folks would capture a cellphone picture taken from the camera remote operators spot showing the the lay of the land and post it.

4. Ben Huddleston

My operator swears he didn't bump it, and as it happened 3 or 4 times on a longer, slightly complicated move, and I harassed him after the first "bump," I think I believe him. So that has to mean a communication issue between the DX7s and the M10, right? I kind of assumed that if my Radian wireless video is still performing, then range shouldn't be an issue....

Gary, if it happens again, I'll map out the where and how, and post a pic.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Also if you think that the set might have this problem think about walking the route as a test, maybe during a rehersal?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I saw this happen when we were testing the MōVI indoors and the camera op remained in our conference room and I walked the MōVI out of the room and down the corridor. I'm pretty sure it was a fail-over from remote operator to Majestic Mode -- it happened in the same place in the building as I walked down stairs and there was more structure between the the Tx and the MōVI.

If there's any way the remote op could stay in line of sight, that would alleviate the problem.

What kind of environment were you in, Ben? Any Wifi nodes around? Any other electrical devices that might be kicking out interference (fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, nuclear reactors.... ;) )

Andy.

7. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

I have also had this problem on a shoot, several shot were ruined and the MoVI was about 80m from the TX , in a field away from obstructions. Nothing about that could have caused interference and direct line of sight.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Mark: Was the MōVI-carrier's body between the Tx and Rx? The human body, aka, bag of water, is a pretty good RF attenuator.

Andy.

9. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi Andy

This is possible, I don't remember exactly as it was about 6 weeks ago, but I guess with the Movi and the way it's operated it will be frequently away from the Tx, and it's hard to keep the Movi carriers body always out of the way. I hadn't realised it would be a problem over that range, but you only have to look at hd transmitters when someone blocks line of sight, stands to reason. We were filming kangaroos fighting in the early morning so had to send the Movi carrier off towards them and stay back as numbers of people were effecting their behaviour. All said though it produced some amazing shots, looked much like a cineflex, we were pretty stunned. But wanted to find out what this problem was.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Kangaroos fighting? Well, there's your problem right there, innit? :)
    You know how those buggers emit radio frequency radiation, eh?
    Also smart move to send the MōVI operator into the danger zone alone. They can be replaced...

Andy.

11. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

I offered him a cricket box, he can't say I wasn't thinking of him.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What you might try in future is:
    1. Offering life insurance, and a batsman's hat.
    2. But seriously, see if you can get better range with the remote operator standing off to one side so there is better line of sight from Tx antenna to Rx antenna. It might improve things and at least the remote operator can see the terrified look on the MōVI bearer's face....

Andy.

13. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Will do thanks Andy.

14. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Also, you will get the worst range when the antenna is pointed at the receiver. Ideally, you want the Tx and Rx antennae to be parallel on any line but the one between them.

15. Ben Huddleston

My shots were in a shopping mall with people and stores everywhere, so there was no doubt RF interference everywhere.

16. Giorgio Sironi

Giorgio Sironi New Member

Hi, we had the same problem, many times, very often.
    We did even open a thread and a support ticket.
    We sent pictures of the motor behaviour, and tried ;))) to send a video.
    It was extremely annoying, but its gone!!

We checked that when we left the bluetooth of the pad on, we ad the issue, bluetooth off, it was gone.

So again:
    Bluetooth on with the app open, motor was jerking.
    Bluetooth off, everything was smooth.

Coincidence?
    Don't believe in it.
    Worth a try!!

Cheers
    Giorgio

17. Ben Huddleston

Thanks for that tip Giorgio. If that is indeed the source of the problem, it sounds like a firmware issue. If I'm experiencing it again I'll definitely try your solution. Anyone from Freefly looked into this?