Gimbal - DX8 sensitivity

Discussion in '2 Axis Gimbal' started by Cris Olariu, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Hey guys -

I have a stock CS8 with a 2-axis gimbal and I operate it using a DX8 transmitter. I use the poti on the DX8 to control the tilt axis on the gimbal. I want to know whether there is a way to adjust the sensitivity on that poti (I assume it would be on the poti and not the gimbal itself). As of right now, it seems like it only uses a small percentage of the poti, so it is hard to get a slow fluid tilt movement.

Thank you.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you using Radian sensors? If so, then you can slow down the tilt slew rate.
    if you're not using Radians, is there a way to use Dual Rate/Exponential on the control you're using on the DX8?

Andy.

3. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Andy, I was just coming back to mention I am not using Radians.
    In the DX8 manual it says that Dual Rates and exponentials are available on the aileron, elevetaor, and rudder channels. It doesn't sound like it would be available for the poti I have the tilt setup to, which is Aux 3.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Cris.
    Hmmm. Then I'm not sure how you can adjust the slew rate, I'm afraid.
    If you're using a rotary control I've seen some folks either wrap tape or put a larger knob on the rotary so that, in effect, it gives you finer control....but beyond that, I'm not sure what the best method is. Sorry.....

Andy.

5. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Thank you Andy. I think I'll look into a larger knob for now, until I can switch to the 3-axis with radians.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've also seen people use a long strip of double sided Velcro wound around the rotary knob just to enlarge its diameter....

Andy.

7. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Cris

I also reduce the speed of the servo depending on what move I will be making.
    It takes a bit of timing to get used to but works well. Easy to make a tilt fast or slow in the speed
    setting of the DX8.

8. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Mike -
    How do you do that?
    Thanks.

9. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Chris you can use the Dual/Rate controls on the DX8 to change how fast they go. If you have a switch in one spot it will be slow, in the other spot you can make it move quick. Look at the DX8 manual and it should explain how to do this.

Josh

10. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

just go into the channel setting in Servo Setup menu. I have my tilt set up on AUX 3. Only knob on the DX8.
    The last option in the menu is speed. Just power up the tilt and play with different speed settings to get the tilt action your looking for.
    This is not the best for real time feather. It is more like crank the knob and the tilt move starts. You will have to time this while flying to
    get the effect your looking for. Just takes a bit of practice.

11. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Cris,
    I have this set up on my CS6: DX8 + Sexpander Mod (12 channels) + MK Flight Ctrl + 1 Op System
    I've been using the R Trim for tilt and L Trim for horizon (roll). I find it much easier to use this switches then the roll.
    To make it smooth just adjust the Speed under the servo menu, also you can do it on the MK tools.
    If you need more info just ask.
    Good luck.