/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal bars slipping

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

My 2-axis gimbal is routinely working its way out of balance, usually just transporting it in my car. I only have a Sony CX760 on it, and my car is a smooth ride. I think I'm nervous about torquing the screws on the clamps too far. Or is there something i can/should put on the gimbal to improve the traction of the clamps? Is there a number of what these components will take torque-wise?

2. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

A good advice is to avoid transporting the camera installed on the gimbal. Of course sometimes this is not possible, I do it myself even with a 5D and sometimes I put the CS in the car and the gimbal is about 1/2 inch off the floor and later when I remove it, after the trip, it's almost touching the floor.
    You can put a little torque on the screws but not too much. Think as these slipping as a safety feature, if you make a not so smooth landing it will absorb a little of the impact.
    What I did is make a little mark on the gimbal with a orange pen so I can see how much it's slipping.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Thank you. Makes sense. Hasn't come loose inflight or even with a couple bumpy landings.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Not sure when they are going to be released but Tabb had pictures of some new Aluminium clamps for the high stress areas. They would be on the roll bar and he also has them for the tilt shafts. Saw them on his FB page.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

In the interim, a strip of gaffer's tape or PVC electrical tape will add some additional grip around the boom where the boom clamps mount.

Andy