/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gh3 focus

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Peter Gøthche, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Peter Gøthche

Hi i have a litle problem, i cant get my gh3 to focus when flying, right now i am in auto focus. What are you guys set it for

2. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Hi Peter, we fly in manual focus... Steve Maller also has some helpful points on this - he suggests manual focus at 40 feet or so. We're right around there too.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Yeah, autofocus is a big problem, and generally leads to unusable video. I always focus her on the ground, and I fly with a small piece of gaffers' tape to keep the focus and zoom (I use the 12-35) from moving. It takes a little trial and error, but once you get it set, I find that 99% of the time I don't have to touch it.

I almost always fly with a ND filter (either 3X or 6X) so I can get about f5.6 on that lens at 1/50 sec (shooting 24P), which gives the best optical performance out of that lens. I find at 5.6 your focus can be set to 10-20 meters and everything to infinity will be in focus. But whatever you do, do not set the focus at infinity. My experience is that infinity in most lenses is some kind of time warp of a few meters past infinity (what I call the Buzz Lightyear focus). :)