/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly - please consider selling Synapse stand alone

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Paul Christopher Greene, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Paul Christopher Greene

Hello Tabb et all :)

Congratulations on finally releasing Synapse and Alta. They are both beautifully engineered as all your fine products are. That said, after waiting for so long for Synapse, I am disappointed to see that it is only being sold in RTF Alta packages which (most regrettably) are not suitable for our minimum standard payload of 15 pounds (gimbal, camera package, FIZ etc) as 70% thrust to hover leaves nothing left in case of ESC, motor or electronics failure.

I understand wanting to limit the hardware configurations on this still new and relatively untested FC, but are wondering if you guys are still considering selling it stand alone?

Thank you kindly and happy holidays,

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

HI Paul

I'm not freefly but from what I understand there is no chance of it being sold by itself. This question has been asked by many flyers. There's too many variables that can lead to failures that I don't think they want to support. From what I understand DJI is not going to be selling newer flight controllers by themselves either and will be concentrating on RTF models.

3. Paul Christopher Greene

Thank you Dave...confirms what I've feared and heard from multiple sources...originating the FC and marrying it to hardware is the future. Gotta say that while I understand fully the reasons for doing so, I'm not as sure it's best for the consumer ;) Thanks again...

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The industry has bifurcated, with the main growth happening in fully-integrated systems such as the ALTA and the Inspire 1. IMHO, the tinkerer/integrator will continue to be able to ply their craft, but as with the invention of the Model T, we've collectively seen the future, and it doesn't require a soldering iron.

5. Paul Christopher Greene

Thanks Steve...clearly! lol It's just going to be painful for consumers for a while during the transition of each manufacturer establishing it's dominance in each sub specialty field of the UAV space. Currently Alta is too small and the announced XL too big for our feature / episodic needs hence my formally asking the question I'd already mostly guessed the answer to lol.

Thanks again,

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Paul,

We wont be selling the Synapse stand alone, and an ALTA flying with a 15lb gimbal and 2 9ah packs is right around 55% throttle at sea level, not 70% FYI

:)