/dist/images/branding/favicon

Freefly Pilot - First impression

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Benjamin Granet, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Benjamin Granet

I was curious if anyone had the chance to get his hand on the Pilot? Or is anyone planning to go see Freefly at their booth?
    I'm quite excited about this new piece of gear as it's gonna finally solve a huge issue we had since the release of the Wedge. Can't wait to hand it to the DP to pull the Iris.

I have a few interrogations :
    -Does the power comes from the Mimic? If so what will be the battery time on that and have they thought about external power solutions?
    -Is the design final? I'm curious about the absence of space for marks next to the Iris control.
    -Lot of things seems to be open in the software so it's interesting to know that things might evolve. I'm curious if they could implement different type of calibration.

What is your thought on it?

2. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Yeah, I'm really curious to get my hands on the pilot as well.

Here are a few things I heard from the Freefly team:
    • Run time: 4 hours
    • Final design? From one of their Live sessions, yes sounds like its the final design.
    • The kit will include the mimic unit.
    I also heard the next firmware is going to allow for up to two MoVI controllers and two mimics to connect to one MoVI Pro simultaneously. This definitely gives the camera department more flex.

The price point seems too high though. Hopefully Freefly will offer two versions, one with the mimic unit and one without.

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Sebastian, did you buy the Bartech or still waiting?

5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

:)I feel Iike I'm disappointing my parents. . .

No bartech yet. U think pilot is a good alternative?

6. Graham Futerfas

LOL! Not disappointed -- just curious. It's amazing how fast Freefly has moved on this, faster than I thought. I'm not surprised you've waited because NAB brought some new options.

7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

How do u get ur nab news?

8. Graham Futerfas

Hey Sebastian, I'm on enough Spam email lists that it trickles in, plus I had the DIT on my shoot a few weeks ago giving me updates during the day while we were working. As long as he's stuck behind the computer.... I was mostly interested in Arri and a few others, but I'm not really in a 'purchasing' mode right now.

There's Cinema5D, ProVideo Coalition, Facebook, Instagram, etc. And I caught Tabb's Facebook Live videos from the show (they get posted to YouTube eventually, which is convenient to watch after-the-fact).