/dist/images/branding/favicon

FreeFly Esc Distro Board

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Tristan Twisselman, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Well, I was changing the wiring of my LED's tonight and powered one strip with a 2s lipo direct and it was daisy chained to my the others hooked to the jst connectors of the freefly distro board and the magic smoke came out. Now the board can't power all of the led strips at once. Some are extremely dim and some so so and some almost full brightness. SO... my question is, is whatever would get shorted out because of this repairable, and if not is it possible to buy the replacement distro board from freefly, surely they can't expect you to buy the esc and everything if the distro board goes.

2. Tristan Twisselman

also, no burn marks or anything underneath that i can see or on top. Are the two caps on top for the LED's?

3. Steve Overstreet

Steve Overstreet New Member

Since the "Distro" board is a pancake circuit board it is unlikely that you will be able to fix the board to its original functionality but you could bypass the circuit board pathways using soldered jumpers (kind of ruins the idea of a cicuit board). But they do sell the circuit board separately so that you could do your own soldering job and reuse your original ESCs and capacitors. But I believe that it is better to replace it as you may have inadvertantly burned other areas.

I sent mine back to the factory and they repaired mine when I had a ESC fry and cause even visual damage on the surface of the board. I have since converted to DJI but used that board for a few months and ultimately sold it and am now selling another one (along with the other boards too) for a great price.

4. Tristan Twisselman

Quadrocopter told me they don't repair the boards and they are not available separate. Can anyone tell me why FreeFly would not sell the distro board separate? They sell every other thing that comes in the motor control set separate except that...very frustrating.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Tristan,

While the information given to you by our technicians was accurate, I would still encourage you to fill out a repair order form and send in the part for diagnostics:
    https://www.quadrocopter.com/Repair-and-Upgrades_ep_62-1.html

We will make an endeavor to assist with the repair process.

Greetings,
    Adam

7. Tristan Twisselman

Gary and Adam, Thank You both. I have sent an email to freefly direct and will see what they have to say.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam may be able to fix it for you. Worth a try.

9. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks Adam. That is basically what FreeFly told me. They only deal with the Movi. Ill fill out a support request today. Thanks again.

10. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Any idea why the ESC fried?